New to chickens and ducks.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jenn22712, Apr 4, 2016.

1. jenn22712

jenn22712 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Hi all, I just wants to introduce myself. My family and I for the first time just got some chickens and ducks. This site has been very helpful to us. We have our 4 golden comets and 2 buff brahmas. They are approx 2-3 weeks now. The brahmas or standoffish but the comets are already like dogs. Growing like weeds. We also got 2 pekin ducks which are adorable and about 1wk give or take. It amazes me how the move as if one and peep if one happens to get an inch away. They are skiddish at first but once picked up the snuggle right up to you. We have our large coop built already however we have not gotten the duck house done. I been having trouble finding what height the house should be and what are the best door dimensions are best. They will be locked in the house at night for safety and free range during the day on our 3 acre land.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - great to have you onboard. Congratulations on your new flock.

I'd suggest asking about the duck coop on the "Duck" forum - I'm sure the Duck experts will be only too happy to help you out.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken / duck. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread may be useful as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Ken has given you some great suggestions on getting information for your duck friends in his post above -- great to have you joining us!

4. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Nice to hear you are enjoying all your feathered buddies!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by