New to chickens and ducks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Judy4222, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Judy4222

Judy4222 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2017
    Saint Cloud, Florida USA
    Hi everyone,

Just got some land about 6 months ago and decided to have a garden, chickens and a few ducks for my pond.

I ordered my chickens and they're all so adorable that I got two of each breed that were available at the time and ended up with 66 chickens. They were delivered the last week of November. Then my son requested some ducks for the pond so I just got six Ducks delivered two weeks ago, and another from a local farm. I just love my chickens and my ducks. I swear they are my therapy everyday I will sit for hours with them.

This is a new experience for me and have already been to the vet several times. Everything is okay after antibiotics. I'm just a worried parent I guess.

Judy

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Judy, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! 66 chickens is a boatload! And ducks to boot! Hope you have a market for your eggs because you will be swimming in them! If you are truly new to the poultry game might read up in the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center It is packed with useful articles and will answer many questions you have or will have. Also, if you have quacker questions, the folks in the Ducks Forum are great: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
    Best wishes and enjoy your flock - ask any questions you might have along the way! [​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

There's nothing better than chicken (or duck) tv...glad you're enjoying the birds!

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Judy [​IMG] Welcome!

Wow! 66 chickens straight up; that is jumping in at the deep end but it sounds like you are doing swimmingly [​IMG]

Can't agree with you more on the chicken therapy .. I work from home and when I down tools at 4PM, regardless of how bad my day has been, my gals have me smiling and/or chuckling within minutes.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Judy and welcome to BYC. It sounds like you got the chicken / fowl bug good and proper! Nothing better than watching your birds enjoying life IMO.

Best wishes
    CT

6. Judy4222

Feb 19, 2017
    Saint Cloud, Florida USA
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I am sure I will have plenty of questions along the way. I had a surprise last week when I thought I was bringing in a hen and at 4 a.m. the next morning the hen started to cockadoodledoo. To my surprise it turned out to be a rooster. Haha

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Judy, thank you for joining the Backyard Chickens flock [​IMG]

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to the forum! I'm so glad you joined BYC, please make yourself at home here, and enjoy all the chickeny folks! :frow

~Cuz

9. Judy4222

Feb 19, 2017
    Saint Cloud, Florida USA
    Thank you. Everyone seems so nice. [​IMG] I do have questions on what kind of breeds a few chickens are. I am looking for the thread for that. I got 15 that I adopted and they didn't tell me what they are.

10. Judy4222

Feb 19, 2017
    Saint Cloud, Florida USA
    By the way, I am located in Central Florida.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by