1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to Chickens and Exhibition, would love advice-Bantam Barred Rock and Ameracaunas

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Aviphotos, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Aviphotos

Aviphotos Just Hatched

Jan 14, 2017
    Fay, OK
    We are new to chickens and I just bought some Marans chicks and what I was told are BLRW for eggs and meat for our small farm. Then I found out that we have a great poultry club in a county near us that has a strong 4H club that is planning for a big show this Fall. They had their first meeting for the Fall show and invited people who are new, especially juniors, to come learn about exhibition. They have breeders that donate chicks of their show birds to everyone who is new and interested with the agreement that you come participate in the show. I thought it was a great way to promote getting new people involved in showing like us since we have no experience and wouldn't know what to look for when buying birds. I also thought it would be a great project for my 15 yr old son and I to explore and do together. We went and learned a little and got our chicks. I'd love to get some input and any advice from you experienced breeders. My son received a trio of Bantam Barred Plymouth Rock that are just lovely imo. I got a trio of Lavender Ameracaunas but I'm not sure if its really a trio ;) I picked those because there were so many young kids that wanted birds I wanted them to get a chance to get birds that are a recognized breed/color for competition. I love the Lavenders and will have fun, even though I know they are not a recognized color for now and can't win the higher levels of exhibition. I'm still learning to photograph these birds (it's harder than I thought!) so I hope these are ok to at least give an idea of what we got. We didn't get much info on their age or breeding lines, but they said they would help us get connected with the breeders for more info in the next few weeks. I have to admit I'm a little jealous of my son's bantams as they are just so cute and very friendly. My Ameracaunas are not quite as friendly and peck at my hands every time I have to do anything in their cage. I'm hoping they warm up over time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And my son's bantams
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by