New to Chickens and Forum but possibly sick pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carriev, May 17, 2011.

1. carriev

carriev New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Hello! We just got our chickens on Sunday. They are all pullets - 1 buff orpington, 10 wks; 1 americauna, 10 wks, 1 barred rock, 14 wks and a second americauna, 14 wks. The older Americauna doesn't seem to be very happy. She barely gets up and leaves the coop, and is not energetic and curious like the others. She has got out and walked a few times, and eats and drinks, but is noticeably less energetic than the others. Last night I tossed some scratch under her beak, and she didn't eat it (but she was eating it this a.m.). She also was the only one that didn't climb to sleep above ground, last night. She does not have a light step, but I wouldn't say she is buckling - just plodding along very deliberately. Her poop looks normal (compared against pictures I see online), I don't see any runny eyes or mucous, or hear any labored breathing. I didn't see parasites or discolored skin. I tried to feel for a crop and it feels pretty hard and round, but I don't really know whats normal. She pooped just this morning when I set her down after looking for parasites, so it seems like she is digesting food. Since she is new to us (and we are new to chickens, generally), I'm not sure if this is normal, or not. Could she be stressed or sad from being moved? Any suggestions? We are in Seattle and the weather is mild - about 45 at night, and in the 60's during the day.

2. carriev

carriev New Egg

May 17, 2011
    My husband just texted and said she now looks like she has weak legs. She takes a few steps and then sits down. Any ideas, please???

3. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Sorry, I am new as well... I am hoping this may bump you and let someone give you some answers.

4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I am sorry that you are having problems with you pullet I am not sure what could be wrong. Maybe just stress from the move. I would scramble some eggs and see if she will eat them.

5. carriev

carriev New Egg

May 17, 2011
    any other suggestions?

6. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I'd put her on antibiotics immediately, and I'd bring in the house to be kept warm. Your feed store should carry antibiotics.

7. carriev

carriev New Egg

May 17, 2011
    thanks. I think my husband went to get. we were also thinking of giving her vitamins.

8. carriev

carriev New Egg

May 17, 2011
    she does not seem to be getting worse, and possibly (but maybe wishful thinking) better. she walks a few feet and then sits down, but clucks her head pretty actively. she is still eating and drinking like the others. I put her on the ladder to the roost about 6" off the ground and she fell off, she could not climb or fly. she was in the run and also out today, but same behavior. We started antibiotics and vitamins in the water. I took another look at her poo and body and still don't see anything that stands out as suspicious. Could she have an injury? The other chickens don't seem to be bothering her.

9. carriev

carriev New Egg

May 17, 2011
    I'm 95% sure its bumblefoot. Poor thing...I've got her on antibiotics and cleaned her feet, but I'm totally freaked out by the idea of cutting out the bumble. Does anyone know if vets will do it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by