New to chickens and forum

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dawn Kelly, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Dawn Kelly

Dawn Kelly New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    Just a quick intro, my name is Dawn and I have just started a small flock of French black copper marans. I bought 5 and hatched 5. It's starting to be a fun little hobby tho I started it just to have the organic free range eggs. I've lurked quite a bit since this started simply because I've had a tough hatch with shipped eggs. Although as of this am I have what seems like 4 healthy chicks even after I did everything wrong. Yay me.
    I'm looking forward to reading more and learning along the way. Thank you to the person who recently wrote the assisted hatching article, I'm pretty sure it saved a little chick. Glad to be a part of your group!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there Dawn and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry about the tough hatch. Eggs can take a beating in the mail and sometimes bad hatches are a result of that.

I do wish you luck next time! And I am happy to hear someone here was able to help you save a chick!

Make yourself at home here Dawn and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Dawn

Glad you could join us here! Sorry to hear you had a tough hatch with your shipped eggs. As if incubating is not worrisome enough as it is. This article has a section on hatching shipped eggs and it has helped me immensely ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Wishing you the very best of luck for your future hatches :fl

Enjoy BYC :frow

4. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    Yes I hope you enjoy your time here and I think you should learn more about incubating. It is a very tough subject if it is your first time, but I promise you will get better! I also have a copper maran and I think they are one of the friendliest chickens to have. They are a great choice to start off with and their eggs are delicious! Have a great time on BYC!
    Justin [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Welcome to our community Dawn. Great to hear that you have had a successful hatch. I hear having an incubator makes chicken maths more dicey than usual - I'm getting one soon[​IMG]. I hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Dawn, nice to meet you. Hope you enjoy Byc as much as we do.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by