new to chickens and I have some questions.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chillybird, Jan 31, 2015.

1. chillybird

chillybird New Egg

Jan 31, 2015
    I hope I've put this in the right place....

I'm either going to be getting a couple ducks or chickens for eggs and garden pest control. the yard i have to work with is a corner lot and the second largest in the city limits, so I have room for them and am allowed to have them. these are my requirements:

I need something that's quiet- while there is a house down the road that has a very noisy rooster I don't really want that myself.
    forages pretty well because, you know thats what I'm getting them for
    is cold resistant because I live in wisconsin, (although if the temps are below freezing I'd be moving the bird houseing into the garage
    lays a reasonable amount of eggs, because eggs are nice
    is calm and not easily bothered by loud noises (passing trucks or barking dogs. I don't live on a very busy road but trucks do go by, and the neighbor dogs like to bark at people who walk by, doesnt happen all the time but it happens enough)
    is pretty friendly, I'll be in the garden too you know.

I heard ducks are easier on the grass (but debateable because all birdies are kinda messy lol), generally healthier, and generally better at dealing with cold, any truth in this? I'm leaning towards muscovy ducks because they fit most of my bird requirements quite well and there is a breeder very close by to me so I don't have to deal with shipping I can just take a drive. BUT if there is a chicken that will suit my needs just as well I'd be very interested in that because my grandmother and her sisters had pet chickens when they were my age and younger in chicago.

I read a little bit on Orpington chickens, those sound good- maybe even what I'm looking for but I haven't read too much about anything else.

also in general what size house/coop would be best for 4-5 chickens?

2. Bailey1204

Bailey1204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I would recommend mallard ducks. I also live in Wisconsin and domestic mallards are great! They are very cold hardy and if needed can forage for a good amount of their own food. They are quiet most of the time, if you are getting ducks or chickens that are quiet DO NOT GET CALL DUCKS! They live up to their names and are very noisy. Just so you know...
    You came to the right place![​IMG]
    I have had a mix of mallards and rouens for quite a while and love them both. However, if you're looking for a smaller breed go for mallards, they are a bantam breed, rouens are heavy-weights. I wouldn't go with muscovies as they are a bit territorial and breeding may get out of hand, they also get very broody very fast.
    I hope I was able to help!
    Bye!

3. Bailey1204

Aug 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Also a good rule of thumb, 1 sq ft of space for every adult duck or chicken. So for 4-5 chickens/ducks a 2x3 ft coop would work, but they do appreciate extra space.

4. Bailey1204

Aug 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    A good place to buy is tractor supply or Metzer Farms (metzerfarms.com)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by