New to Chickens, and I love genetics!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lfulvipes, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Lfulvipes

Lfulvipes Just Hatched

Feb 12, 2017
    Hi,

My family and I are starting a new chicken flock and are really excited. We are planning on getting 4-8 Ameraucana chicks and brooding away. Already got the materials for a brooder and the coop is half built!

I am also an assistant professor of human genetics and genomics so I'm excited about learning more of the genetics of chicken breeds. Might be an interesting way of combining work and home life ;)

If you have genetic questions, I'd be happy to look into it and maybe we can all learn!

2. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Welcome to BYC! I don't know a ton about genetics but from the little I know it sure sounds complicated! lol

Great to have ya here!

:)

~MW

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! I always envy the folks with an understanding of genetics - it's like a foreign language to me. I am sure you will get plenty of takers on your offer to answer genetics questions. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

4. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC...good luck with your flock!
    You will find forums here on chicken genetics.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Lfulvipes [​IMG] Welcome!

Having 5 x spoiled pet bantams and no breeding program, genetics is way out of my league. However, I think you will find lots of people happy to talk genetics with you and you will be an asset to BYC.

You might be interested in the Exhibition, Genetics & Breeding Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16188/exhibition-genetics-breeding-to-the-standard-of-perfection

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. Lfulvipes

Lfulvipes Just Hatched

Feb 12, 2017
    Thanks for the welcome, this seems like a great place! :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    1 person likes this.
  9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to the flock! I am quite pleased you decided to join us, please pull up a chair and make yourself at home here! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by