new to chickens and just want a little advice...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by erzulieloo, Feb 28, 2012.

1. erzulieloo

erzulieloo New Egg

Jan 8, 2012
    pinellas county, florida
    hi all!

i've got two 8 week old silkies and live in central florida on the gulf coast. they've spent their life so far on my lanai and have had regular outings to our yard. their coop is a place they've visited, but they've never slept out there. we'd like to move them soon but wondered if there were any tips on doing it without stressing them too much. i've no idea if i'm being too cautious, it's just that we tried giving it a go last weekend and i ended up bringing them back into the lanai because i could hear them calling and calling long after dark. they sounded scared and we didn't know quite what to do.

just want to do the best i can by them.

thanks in advance!!!

[​IMG]

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Have you tried leaving a night light on for maybe 30 mins. to an hour after dark? And maybe leave a 20 watt red light on all night. Sounds like they are a little worried but not horribly scared.

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    The first few nights when i put my 4-5 week old chicks out in the grow out coops they can be loud. I doubt they are cold so I would just place them in there in the morning and let them get used to it. I would start leaving them out there all day and night if you can. They will probably be a little stressed but the will be fine in a day or 2. make sure they have feed and water also.

Nate

4. erzulieloo

erzulieloo New Egg

Jan 8, 2012
    pinellas county, florida
    thanks!!

(i love that dog pic!)

5. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    You are very welcome! I'm a sucker for dogs and chickens.

6. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    We use a light at the door to the coop and inside the coop. When newly introduced to the coop it helps train them to come inside at dusk and to use their ramp. We bought a solar powered light set with 3 small LED lights. You can also just get some of those stick LED closet lights from the store and just remember to turn them on before dusk.

7. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Chickens usually adapt quickly to new surroundings. I'd put them in their new coop in the morning - and let them have all day to get accustomed to it before dark. I personally would not put lights in there because it's not necessary. If you want them to use the roost, you can place them on it the first night or two - and they'll probably do it themselves after that. Good luck.

8. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    The lights are very helpful to me because they give me enough light to see in to the run, to see enough to close the pop door, and to open the side window and see the hens inside. A flashlight would work just as well but when can you ever find one when you need one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by