New to chickens and need help!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by notachickenlady, Mar 13, 2015.

1. notachickenlady

notachickenlady New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    [​IMG]

I ordered two goslings and when I went to go pick them up the mailwoman opened the box. A chicken popped out! Along with my two goslings I also got 15 chickens! I let them run last night and touch grass for the first time. When it was time to lock them up I found one laying on the ground. His leg is pulled up and and seems sore. He was shaking and there seemed to be a little bruising. I brought him inside and I thought he was going to die so I wrapped him up and had him on the couch with me. He ate and survived the night and seems to be doing much better except his leg. Can anyone tell me how to fix him?!?! I have never had chickens so I don't know anything about him or his 14 friends.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! I would try posting your questions in the "Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures" section. You shouldn't have chicks go outside at such a young age, they should stay in the brooder tell they are at least a month or two old.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you decided to join! Let us know if you have any questions, we will be glad to help you if we can. [​IMG] There is a lot of great info on here, and lots of very knowledgeable people, so I'm sure you'll be able to find any info you may be looking for. [​IMG] Definitely check the emergency section.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

I'm sorry to hear about your injured chick! I would definitely post in the Emergencies section for some good help: Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures

Good luck with him!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the chick, hope he is OK.

7. notachickenlady

notachickenlady New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    Thank you everyone. I posted in the emergency forum. Hopefully someone will know. He is perfectly fine other than he can't use the leg.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    when I enlarged your photo, it looks like he has a part of his outside toe missing. Maybe it's just that the photo isn't real clear but, I would check that out. Do you have an indoor brooder with heat lamp set up for your new arrivals?

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Did you order the 15 chicks or did the hatchery send them to keep the ducklings warm? I ask because hatcheries often put chicks in as warmers, especially on a small order to keep them warm. When they send free chicks they are most likely to be males (which they consider to be worthless). My point is you may have a lot of males to be finding homes for.

10. notachickenlady

notachickenlady New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    His foot is fully intact. I did get them an area with a heat lamp. This chick is on a heating pad and doing great besides the leg. I am already trying to find homes for most of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by