1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to Chickens and new here

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hayroad, Sep 17, 2012.

1. hayroad

hayroad New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    I picked up 6 of the pullits from an amish farm and I'm not sure of the breed, they are about 5 months old, and are very gentile with each other (until my son tossed a frog in the coop). I hope someone can identify them for me.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] You have a beautiful flock of red sex link pullets. Soon to be laying if not already.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2 [​IMG]

4. hayroad

hayroad New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    Thanks, I Couldn't really understand the amish lady that sold them to me. Any info on these ladies would be greatly appreciated.

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Check out the breeds section and look under sex-link

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    red sex links are great layers

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Red sex links are produced by breeding a red rooster over a silver hen. The female chicks hatch out red or gold-based, the males are silver based. Thus the color is linked to the sex. Different breeds can be used for this cross and different hatcheries call their crosses different things....gold comets, red stars, cinnamon queens are the common names. They're usually great layers of large brown eggs, fairly docile and overall great family birds. Some folks here have had problems with health issues from being bred for high production, but that's a YMMV thing. Mine have been great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by