1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new to chickens and not having any luck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CCC luv, Sep 4, 2014.

1. CCC luv

CCC luv Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    my son was given an egg and hatched a beautiful barred rock so we didn't want it to be libely and went and bought two black orphington babies and one died before the next morning :( so we went and got an easter egger chick and last week knew it was a male so I gave him back to the womab I bought him from and unknowingly bought a sick pullet so we knew for sure ONE was a girl (but unfortunately sick)and of course my other two are roos! :/ when we got the pullet home we noticed she had a runny nose and was pooping green and peeing green and isolated her but had already met the boys for about 20 mins. because I didn't know better!!! I didn't think the pullet would make it as I thought she could be dehydrated and emaciated and my concerns were confirmed yesterday by A USDA VET assistant yesterday when they were here for labs...so anywaya about a three or four days after we got the sick pullet we noticed the boys didn't look well, they had lost all color in their combs and wattles and the one was pooping alot of blood and even had head twitching! the next day I got some amprol to treat them with and by the third day their color was back and they were feeling spunky...so the day before yesterday was their 5th day on Amprol and yesterday I started their electrolyte/vitamin/probiotic water and today the black orphington is panting like he is hot but its only like 70° in my home (they are 2mos. old now) and was preparing their coop before they got sick! so the two boys have NEVER been outside, however my son did feed them earthworms and grass from outside! also, the two boys started to have diahrea yesterday and is foamy brown still ( strarted being foamy after starting Amprol) and still is! So my first ? is what to do for them...start Amprol again? they do shake their head and stretch it and yawn and was wondering if they could have gape? but never seen any worms....as for my sick pullet, I treated her with tylon for 3 days then Aurethromycin thereafter and safeguard pellets for 3 days.....vet assistant said she is dehydrated and emaciated and I have had her fir a week and a half and cannot believe she is still alive! she eats alot and drinks a little and sleeps...that is ALL! I don't know what else to do for them until test results come back ( 7-10days) but don't want to lose them in the meantime! any advice would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

2. CCC luv

Aug 26, 2014
    [​IMG] here is our sick pullet " Rosy" and I'm heartbroken that we still have two roos and my son will definitely not let me get rid of his hatched barred rock roo and I am attached to both and don't want to rehome either but my coop will only hild up to 4! :/ and they are already fighting but want a good home where I know he wont be on the dinner table! :(

3. CCC luv

Aug 26, 2014
    our pullet Rosy used to stand when we got her last week so then I thought she may like a roosting bar and put that in there and she got on it a couple times but now all she wants to do is lay down so I took it out....she only stands to get food or water and she lays back down and closes her eyes :(

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A lot to deal with there. Some of this information and advice will be for future endeavors.
    The foamy feces and head shaking isn't a sign of coccidiosis which is the only thing amprolium treats.
    Emaciation and dehydration can be symptoms of coccidiosis so the pullet would be the one to possibly treat with it.
    If you bring in new birds, you shouldn't just put them in with yours. They should be quarantined for 2 weeks minimum, preferably 4 and as far from your birds as possible. The pullet was obviously sick when you got it.
    It could have several different things wrong with it.
    Antibiotics aren't always the best course of action since problems can be parasitic, viral, fungal, environmental, nutritional and if bacterial, many bacteria are resistant and can't be eradicated by antibiotics.
    You probably wouldn't see any worms if it is gapeworm.
    Earthworms, and virtually every creepy crawly in the environment can be secondary hosts of parasitic worms.

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A fecal sample read only takes an hour or so and will find intestinal parasites.

6. CCC luv

Aug 26, 2014
    ooh the one roo had bloody stool and thought he was a gonner and thats why I treated them all with amprol and they seemed to improve and it has been two days today off of it and....they seem like they are feeling bad again....no blood in poo but is still foamy and the pullets is still green....I guess the people from the lab have big factorys and etc. to work with also so they wouldn't read it right away and said it could take a week to ten days for results.....this is getting overwhelming :/ and I only have 3 chickens..didn't know this journey would be so complicated! and about quarantining....well, I now know! that was a hard lessoned learned! but still at a loss for what to do for them now :(

7. CCC luv

Aug 26, 2014
    I hope they make it another week to ten days! :(

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

This is a bit of a messy situation. The roosters may very well be coming down with what that hen has, that would explain them not feeling well. Since the roosters were exposed to the sick hen they are potential carriers of whatever she has even if they don't develop a full blown case of it. So to re-home one is basically sending this disease on to the next person. Not a good idea. However it's certainly not going to work out having two roo's and just one hen, if she survives. It's also not good to have one rooster and only one hen. Generally it's best for the hens if there are 10 - 12 hens per rooster. Fewer hens get to much "attention" from the roosters and show a lot of wear and tear as a result. If you decide to keep both roosters you probably need separate housing for them. Sometimes roosters learn to get along, other times they just want to fight it out. Especially young ones the same age when the hormones hit around 6 months old.

As far as the roosters still having runny or foamy stools, it would probably be a good idea to have a fecal sample tested and see what their cocci numbers are. You can check for other parasites as well. They are young to have much of a worm load, but as mentioned by ChickenCanoe, earthworms are hosts for certain parasites.

1 person likes this.
  9. CCC luv

Aug 26, 2014
    thanks for the info cafarmgirl, thats what I was afraid of....its gonna kill us to part with the two roos ( the ones raised since babies) :( or......God I hope their not carriers and can be rehomed

10. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I would not attempt to rehome a suspected sick bird. That's exactly what the person did that sent you sick birds. Roosters taste just like chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by