New to chickens and still waiting....

PrincessChicky

Songster
8 Years
Mar 24, 2012
Dallas area
We got our chicks on 3/31 (about 2 weeks ago), they were straight run mutts from a petting zoo. I'm not sure how old they were at that time, maybe a week or two??

So, how old do they look now?

Also, when will I be able to tell pullets from cockerels?

This brown one has the largest comb and most upright tail. The other three are more white with black specks, one is rather loud, the other two are unassuming. They all basically look the same (the white ones) no differences between them at all yet. I'm constantly analyzing them for differences and clues to their genders but they don't seem to be giving up any clues to me! I also have no idea what breed these are or if they are, in fact, mutts. Any ideas from the more experienced among you??

Weather permitting, we'll be moving the chicks from their crate in the garage out to their coop we have been building.

Ok, another question, if we have cockerels, we'll give them away and purchase more pullets (so we'll have 4 chickens total). Do I need to worry about throwing in some new chicks with these chicks? Can I purchase chicks that are about the same age as mine or do I need to buy them as tiny fluffs?

My guess would be 3 weeks old. No 4 to 5 weeks old. I have a 5 week old Buff Orp who is behind in growth from all the others that looks just like the buff chick you have. So lets call them 4 and a half weeks.

Last edited:
Cant help with the age but the size of those combs would make me think boys.

Oh no. I had hoped that wouldn't be the case. We can't have roosters here so I hate to think we'll have to get rid of the whole gang. I guess it won't be too long now before we'll know for sure, huh?

My guess would be 3 weeks old. No 4 to 5 weeks old. I have a 5 week old Buff Orp who is behind in growth from all the others that looks just like the buff chick you have. So lets call them 4 and a half weeks.

4 1/2 weeks, that sounds good. We'll go with that! Thank you!

4 to 5 weeks. I hate to say this but they look like roosters. Are you sure the petting zoo wasn't trying to get rid of their roosters?

Funny! I was thinking that out of 4, the odds were in our favor to get 2 pullets, right? Looks like not. Upon further inspection, 3 of the chicks have combs that are larger and more red than the 4th. Perhaps I will end up with one pullet?

The one suspected pullet has been different from the others since we got the chicks. Louder, more flock oriented and more b!tchy!

I didn't realize they were giving out roosters or we wouldn't have taken them and gotten attached! Bummer. :(

I was going to say 3-4 weeks by the feathering. To avoid any confrontations with one being older might want to consider a whole new flock. You might be able to find some replacements close to the same age though and solve that.

I was going to say 3-4 weeks by the feathering. To avoid any confrontations with one being older might want to consider a whole new flock. You might be able to find some replacements close to the same age though and solve that.

I think I'm going to look into getting a few more chicks, try to introduce them together now, and then deal with the roos as needed. With any luck, when things are all said and done, I'll have 3 hens!

Back
Top Bottom