New to Chickens and this Site so Questions...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rheared, Mar 1, 2016.

1. rheared

rheared New Egg

Feb 28, 2016
    Greenville, SC
    Hi all! I'm the proud owner, along with my husband and three children, of 3 RIR and 2 Barred Rocks which are a week old tomorrow. This is my first time with hens, but I've been reading books for a year to get ready. (I bought raising chickens for dummies, lol.). We are enjoying watching our new little ladies and ridding our girls of pasty butt. They all had it and this caused them and us a little discomfort. Is it usual when buying chicks from a feed store for all of your pullets to have it? Heir feet were covered with feces and black globs as well. Is this cause for concern? I didn't want to further stress my girls on their first day home.

2. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!! I haven't bought chicks from a feed store for a few years, but ever since I stopped I haven't had any problems with pasty butt. If you haven't already, make sure you check out the learning center; it's full of information!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I can't really comment on pasty butt since i only use a broody hen to raise chicks and i have never seen that problem ever.

As KeyFlock says the Learning Centre, you'll find a whole host of resources on all things chicken.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (just type your state in the search box). In fact, the search box should become your best friend [​IMG] Lastly but by no means least, the members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

Good luck with your little ones

CT

4. rheared

rheared New Egg

Feb 28, 2016
    Greenville, SC
    Thank you for your responses! I have the newbie chick reference saved to my homepage! Glad to be a part of such a cool community. Thanks again for the well wishes! My girls are calling and making their presence known to our beagles... They've both had litters so the keep checking on the chicks.. Lol. Have a lid on our brooder with wire mesh top so no worries that our Layla and Darla will try and move them.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the BYC flock[​IMG]

7. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    You're welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by