New to chickens and this site

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Smith Fam Farm, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Smith Fam Farm

Smith Fam Farm Hatching

Jul 27, 2014
    Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your help and support. We are getting our first day old chicks tomorrow, 15 RIRs. We are all very exited and have been getting ready for a couple of weeks. We will be using two large(35 gallon ) plastic totes for our brooder and fixing up an old coop on the property next to our house that we bought last fall. It also has a two stall barn and equipment shed. This has allowed us to start the hobby farm we have wanted for years. Anyway the coop is 12x8 and I am also adding a 12x20 full enclosure for a run area. Please share any beginner advise that you feel will help out. I have been reading on this site for hours every night for the last week!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you some great links to check out, good luck with your future flock!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Be sure to use hardware cloth for your run instead of chicken wire as there are too many predators that can tear through chicken wire or pass through the openings in the mesh. Hardware cloth has saved chicken owners a lot of tears. Feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Rhode Island Reds.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You've recieved some great advice and links above.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your flock!:)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very happy you joined our flock [​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Smith Fam Farm

Smith Fam Farm Hatching

Jul 27, 2014
    Here are pics of a couple of our new girls. Just brought them home today. Thanks to all for the advice already!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    They are adorable!! Enjoy them! Be sure to watch for pasty butt.

10. Smith Fam Farm

Smith Fam Farm Hatching

Jul 27, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just wanted to drop a note to everyone with a couple pics of the girls. They are almost 4 weeks old and moved them out to the coop recently. They are so cute and getting big so fast. We are all loving the experience and by the way just added a pony to the farm for the kids. Guess we are taking this habit to the next level, a year ago we bought the land next to us at sheriffs sale which has a two stall horse barn (24x30), chicken coop (8x12) and pole barn garage ( 24x30 and dirt floor) we now have 1 pony, 15 chicks, a new 28 hp Mahindra tractor, along with the two dogs one cat and three hermit crabs we already had. Think we like animals and the rural lifestyle ??? :D
    IMG_6662.jpeg
    IMG_0136.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: