New to chickens - baby chick hurt herself

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gr8teacher, Jun 6, 2016.

1. gr8teacher

gr8teacher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    Phoenix
    Hi,
    So while I was away, one of my chicks hurt herself by ripping the entire skin off one of her claws.... Blood everywhere. She is only 2 weeks old, so she is in the house in her own little area.

I am not sure what I can do for her. I rinsed it off, but the skin is still hanging off....help and advice is much appreciated... I am having a hard time with it since I feel so bad... Cause I don't know exactly how she did this.

2. gr8teacher

Apr 5, 2016
    Phoenix
    Please someone help me out. I don't know what to do....

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    How deep? How much skin? Picture?

Clean the area, if the wound is fresh, try placing the skin back into place & bandage. Keep area clean. It may reattach, may not....It's a try. Main thing is keeping it CLEAN, watch for infection. Another option depending how deep the wound is, clip the skin off & bandage, again the main thing is keeping it CLEAN. Just my thoughts but I'm not very experienced with chicken first aid.

Hopefully someone with more experience will peep in soon. Sorry to hear your chick got hurt.

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Make sure her wound stays clean. This happened to my white silkie last year when she was a baby. I didn't separate my chick, you should though. The other chicks randomly started pecking her one day when they saw a bit of blood (don't know where that came from) and pretty soon her entire toe was bloody. I smothered her toe in some vaseline so that when the other chicks pecked her they would get a mouthful of vaseline and quit pecking her. Don't worry, the vaseline won't hurt them. And then I called Mypetchicken (thats where i got the chicks) and they told me to wrap her foot up in a 'bootie'. A little square of cardboard on the bottom of her foot and tape it around the top. This didn't help my chick much though since she was in an active brooder with a bunch of chicks. And when i say 'vaseline' I mean, Petroleum Jelly. She got got better though and is now an adult healthy silkie. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. gr8teacher

Apr 5, 2016
    Phoenix
    Thank you guys! I cleaned it up but I can tell you it's hanging around her upper leg... And it's completely removed from her leg/foot... I will take pictures when I get home... I already had her separated, but I can tell she is in pain... And it's killing me... I am already so attached to this one... I just want to help her.

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    hope she gets better. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. gr8teacher

Apr 5, 2016
    Phoenix
    [​IMG]

8. gr8teacher

Apr 5, 2016
    Phoenix
    [​IMG]

9. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Oh wow, thats pretty bad. I wouldn't put it in a 'bootie' if I were you. Just keep on keeping it clean. It looks like she has a big bump on her foot too. Do you have anything in your brooder that could've injured her? Like a piece of sharp wire or something sticking out?

10. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by