New to Chickens, Breed Advice Requested

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mmww621, Feb 27, 2012.

1. mmww621

mmww621 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    North Florida
    Hello All!

I discovered this site recently while exploring chicken ownership and love all the information and friendly advice =)

Finally convinced the hubby to get on board with starting a small flock and just wanted some input from the experience here, very excited but no chicken knowledge! We live on a little farm w/ horses, dogs, and cats, I worked through college at vet hospital and I'm an animal science graduate so tons of ag time, just not anything with wings!!

I plan on picking up 3 sexed pullets from our feed store in a week or two, and would love input on my breed selections. We live in North Florida so pretty nice weather year round, just super muggy in summer lol! I am thinking about Auracana (for egg colors), Buff Orpington, and Rhode Island Red. Feed store gets in a few other breeds if anyone thinks something would be better suited, lemme know! I have a 2 yr old son and human baby #2 due in October so docile/friendly temperament is most important to me with decent egg production. Coop will be in the yard near the house and chicks will be in brooder in my bathroom so they will probably become part of family pretty quick!

Also, in terms of #2 baking in the oven, any special precautions anyone would advise? I'm a farm girl so totally wash hands lots, don't roll in poo, and all that = )

Thank so much for the advice!!!

Meg

2. Country Chickens

Country Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Orange County, NC
    You really sound like you've got it covered! Any other questions that come up as you go, I'm sure you'll find the answers here. Of course, I do have to just put in a small plug for silkies, which are my personal favorite breed. They are super sweet, soft, and have great personalities--even the roos. We have easter eggers and sex-linked for our laying flock, but if you want a family member and pet as well you can't beat silkies!

Okay, silkie ad over.[​IMG] Just had to drop that in. [​IMG]

3. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I'd highly recommend the orpingtons. Ours have been very docile and they're good layers.

4. mmww621

Feb 27, 2012
    North Florida
    Thanks for input!! Unfortunately our feed store doesn't have silkies, but I think once we get established we're gonna have to find a breeder to add one or two to the flock =)

Thanks again!!

5. mmww621

Feb 27, 2012
    North Florida
    Ok, Thanks! The orpingtons are certainly pretty too

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I do not think you have to worry too much about germs when you have chicks. I would just suggest washing your hands after handling them.

Buff Orpingtons are supposed to be very friendly. But Rhode Island Reds aren't usually known to be affectionate. I mean they don't usually like to be picked up.

The Araucana, which is rumpless, is sometimes confused with Ameraucana. And birds that do not meet the standards of these breeds but lay blue, green, or even brown eggs are called "Easter Eggers."

Araucana -- https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/araucana

Ameraucana -- https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/ameraucana

Here is a thread that has information about popular breeds and types of chickens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...chickens-resource-for-selecting-your-chickens

7. mmww621

Feb 27, 2012
    North Florida
    Thanks for the link to all the info!

The feed store advertises "Araucana", which after doing research leaves me confused as to what they really are. Will stop by and try to get some clarification.

Would you recommend Australorp over RIR? The third breed I'm not as picky about, just wanted to round out the flock with something nice.

8. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

The feed store is probably either selling Araucanas or "Easter Eggers." If you only want colorful eggs, it shouldn't make any difference to you.

If your priority is friendliness, then Australorps will usually be friendlier than Rhode Island Reds, and Australorps lay about the same number of eggs as Rhode Island Reds. There are always individual variations, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by