New to Chickens, breed question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AussieAcres, Sep 14, 2009.

1. AussieAcres

AussieAcres Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    I am planning on starting a "backyard flock" this season and had questions. I want this flock for a number of reasons, first is egg laying. I am tired of getting more medication from eggs than doctors. Secondly, I like the fact they will control the bug population and at the same time make some great fertilizer.
    I am looking to have a total of 10-12 hens and a couple roo's. I am thinking a 50/50 mix of Salmon Faverolle' s and Wyandotte's. Pro's, con's to doing it this way? Are the two breeds going to cause problems together?

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I want this flock for a number of reasons, first is egg laying. I am tired of getting more medication from eggs than doctors. Secondly, I like the fact they will control the bug population and at the same time make some great fertilizer.

[​IMG]

Sounds like a good idea. I can't think of any problems with keeping those two breeds together, they're both usually mellow.​

3. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    [​IMG] from Montana

The only con I can see is, you probably only need 1 roo for 10-12 hens. Usually the preferred ratio of roos to hens is 1 roo to 10 hens.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    welcome! that will be a very pretty flock!I don't know about the favorelles but the wyandottts have a nice mellow mama chicken personality . . . at least the ones I have had.
    I mixed my flock according to egg color so that I would know who was laying (white, brown, green . . .)

5. AussieAcres

AussieAcres Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Thank you for the responses. I am in the process yet of planning out the coop, cover, run etc. I am building the coop inside an old (but in great shape) steel silo on the lot. I will need a covered run for when we, or the dogs are not around as we this year had a red tail hawk make residence in some trees on the land.
    Eventually I will get into meat birds (not sure if that is a taboo topic here or not) and kinda leaning toward Russian Orloffs for that. Small time, mostly just providing for ourselves.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    be sure to visit the coop thread you will get a lot of good ideas. Meat birds are not a taboo topic.

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:[​IMG]

The breeds you selected should go well together. Just be on the lookout for the Wyandottes. The ones I received were EVIL. They also pecked out the feathers on the legs of all of my Asiatics.

8. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Quote:Actually, Wyandottes are excellent dual purpose birds - if you're buying chickens or hatching eggs you could raise the Roos you're not gonna keep for meat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by