New to Chickens -- Breed Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Guavacoop, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Guavacoop

Guavacoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    We are just building our first urban-backyard coop and want to get 3 hens. We know NOTHING about breeds yet. We will do some reading, but to get started can people suggest easy-to-find breeds that have these qualities:

Hens that are on the quiet side (coop will be under our bedroom window!)
    Good layers of good-sized eggs
    Ideally, we'd like to get a couple different colors of eggs, including an interesting color like green

Also, since we want only hens but would like to get young chicks, can the chicks be sexed reliably early on? (My daughter would be heartbroken if we had to send one back!) Are there breeds or colors that are easier to sex?

Thanks!
    Guavacoop

2. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    buff orpingtons from ideal poultry we got 3 of them...sexed for under $3/chick...awesome gentle, fuzzy cute chickens.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I agree.....Buff orpingtons are the best. They are smart, friendly and like people. Good layers and are cold hearty.

4. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Ameracanas lay green eggs. So one of those, a red sex-link that makes two. Last a speckled sussex for a brown egg. They should be easy to find, and yes chicks can be sexed early on. Typically hatcheries quarantee their sexing to be 90% accurate. The only way to be certain that you have females is to buy sex link chicks. Hope this helps![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  5. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    Ameracanas are great! i have a chick and she is sweet! and black sex links are nice too. and just gave me a egg!! lol

here are mine. and i have pics.

6. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    We had the same considerations (quiet, docile, friendly, good-excellent egg production) with the addition of "cold-hardy" "doesn't go broody too often" and "accepts confinement well"...

We had to make some compromises about the broodiness, but the list narrowed down to:
    Black Australorp
    Silver Laced Wyandotte
    Sex-Link types (red Star, golden Comet, etc)
    Barred Plymouth Rock
    Rhode Island Red
    Buff Orpington

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I looooove Wyandottes! I have Blue Laced Reds and they are such fun birds.

8. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    I have RIR, RIW ( i think...may be white giants..gottem at the feed store), production blacks ( barred rock crossed with something), salmon favs, SS hamburgs, white cochins and buff orps with buff laced polish and mixed colour silkie eggs in the bator currently...the RIR are awesome but i still think the buff orps are our friendliest girls. THey are just crazy friendly...at 5 weeks they run up to be picked up when everyone else is trying to run for the food.

9. Guavacoop

Jun 30, 2007
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I guess I should have added "Friendly" to my list, since we have little kids. But cold-hearty isn't critical since we live in Northern California where it rarely gets below 50, but occasionally will get to freezing.

I'd love to hear any more input, especially if other people want to "second" any of the suggestions.

THanks so much! [​IMG]
    Guavacoop

10. Guavacoop

Jun 30, 2007
    SeaChick,
    Did you get any of the ones on that list, and how have they turned out? Do some meet your criteria more than others?
    Thanks,
    Guavacoop

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by