New to chickens, building a Coop and Run

foghorn77

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
My wife has been bugging me for a few years to get some chickens, I am not really opposed to the idea so i finally gave in. Here are the plans I came up with. I am planning on using mostly old pallets as materials and some left over sheet metal for roofing. I will post more photos as I make progress.

Last edited:
Hmmm so you let your wife keep 'bugging you' even though you actually quite like the idea
And now you are totally into it designing and building a coop! MEN

yuckyuck.gif

I actually think it will turn out cool looking. Rather modern.

welcome-byc.gif

Lots of great information on here.

What kind of chickens are you planning on and how many? We always want to know that sort of thing.
big_smile.png

My Dh told me I was on my own building coops number 6 and 7. He spent all day yesterday helping me modify the walls I built and then sheeting them. Tomorrow after work he plans on helping me do more priming and sealing. ( I kind of wish I had just gotten the brand new siding instead of used crate material.)

I ad a day off work today due to rain this morning so I got started. It's just a coop skeleton but its a start and now I know I need more lumber o finish the rest. Not a big deal there plenty of pallets to breakdown at work.

I finally got my coop and run finished just a few weeks after the girls moved in. Sorry for no process pictures.

That is quite a build you have there… I can not say I have ever seen anything quite like it. I am just grinning, as I view your photographs, how fun that must have been, the creative forces within often show in a nice piece of work/art you have made for your charges. And you have the only one of its kind. I must be worrisome to contemplate what would be, should your try another. Nice work, good job, a worthwhile project for both your and yours, and the BYC community as well.

Thank you, and best to you and your birds,

RJ

We have 4 chickens currently but I figure we could have as many as 8 or 10. I don't have any pictures of the interior right now. All the roofs are removable for cleaning. I will take some later. I have thoughts of the next coop I will build when we move in about 5 years. Mostly refinements and a better foundation.

Back
Top Bottom