New to chickens, building a Coop and Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by foghorn77, Sep 1, 2014.

1. foghorn77

foghorn77 New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    My wife has been bugging me for a few years to get some chickens, I am not really opposed to the idea so i finally gave in. Here are the plans I came up with. I am planning on using mostly old pallets as materials and some left over sheet metal for roofing. I will post more photos as I make progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    Hmmm so you let your wife keep 'bugging you' even though you actually quite like the idea
    And now you are totally into it designing and building a coop! MEN

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]

I actually think it will turn out cool looking. Rather modern.

[​IMG]
    Lots of great information on here.

What kind of chickens are you planning on and how many? We always want to know that sort of thing. [​IMG]

My Dh told me I was on my own building coops number 6 and 7. He spent all day yesterday helping me modify the walls I built and then sheeting them. Tomorrow after work he plans on helping me do more priming and sealing. ( I kind of wish I had just gotten the brand new siding instead of used crate material.)

4. foghorn77

foghorn77 New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    [​IMG]

I ad a day off work today due to rain this morning so I got started. It's just a coop skeleton but its a start and now I know I need more lumber o finish the rest. Not a big deal there plenty of pallets to breakdown at work.

5. foghorn77

foghorn77 New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finally got my coop and run finished just a few weeks after the girls moved in. Sorry for no process pictures.

6. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    How many chickens do you have? Do you have any pictures of the inside?

7. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

That is quite a build you have thereā€¦ I can not say I have ever seen anything quite like it. I am just grinning, as I view your photographs, how fun that must have been, the creative forces within often show in a nice piece of work/art you have made for your charges. And you have the only one of its kind. I must be worrisome to contemplate what would be, should your try another. Nice work, good job, a worthwhile project for both your and yours, and the BYC community as well.

Thank you, and best to you and your birds,

RJ

8. foghorn77

foghorn77 New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    We have 4 chickens currently but I figure we could have as many as 8 or 10. I don't have any pictures of the interior right now. All the roofs are removable for cleaning. I will take some later. I have thoughts of the next coop I will build when we move in about 5 years. Mostly refinements and a better foundation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by