New to chickens, but really glad my husband and I took the leap

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Taote, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Taote

Taote Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2017
    Kentucky
    I've done a lot of reading on this forum over the past few months and it has been helpful AND entertaining. Decided to join this week, and looking forward to learning from my little flock as it grows and from all of your experiences as well.

Our 21 chicks are seven weeks old now, and they are thriving.

We selected the flock based on careful research - for a combination of characteristics - calm, productive, cold hardy, friendly, foragers, egg colors, a couple of broody girls and two cockerel for future additions. My husband build them a great coop, and while they have feeders inside and out, they eat from our hands, often perching on our laps (haven't been pooped on yet, but I'm sure that will happen sooner or later.)

It suprised me to see how sweet they can be - choosing to hang out even when there is clearly no food in play.

My favorite is Elvis, our easter egger roo. He is gorgeous, sweet, and seems to be pretty darn smart. He investigates everything and leads the way with any new skill (climbing the gang plank, going outside, roosting on the perches at night). I love how he follows me around, grabs my lap whenever he can, and cocks his head while studying my face as I talk to him.

Sure hope he stays sweet whIle he continues to mature.

Thanks in advance for the advice I will surely benefit from, and I look forward to contributing more as my husband and I learn over time.

Tao

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Tao and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us and congrats on your new flock [​IMG]

Your little fella may or may not continue to be sweet. Personally, I don't pet my cockerels and I ensure that they stay out of my way. In doing so one has a better chance of garnering respect from him, which is important once their hormones kick in. Being flogged by a cockerel is not fun, I assure you. However, we all do things differently and very little is set in stone and that's what makes BYC so interesting. People from all over the world sharing their approaches, ideas and opinions ensures that there is always something new to learn.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Tao, hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do. I really liked your introduction and do hope your sweet rooster will stay that way.

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Tao [​IMG] Welcome!

Thank you for a great introduction! I too hope that Elvis stays a sweetheart; we are not allowed to have roosters here.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Taote

Apr 22, 2017
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the welcome, and the advice. I recognize I may have to show him, if the time comes, that he is lower in the pecking order than my husband and I. Saw a few techniques, and it won't bother me a bit to employ them. Would prefer he stays sweet though, lol.

6. Taote

Apr 22, 2017
    Kentucky
    @ Drumstick Diva and Teila, thanks for the welcome :)

Will post pictures as soon as I can.

7. Taote

Apr 22, 2017
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]

The splash EE Roo is Elvis

[​IMG]

The 8×16 coop, side view, still a work in progress.

8. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    Welcome Taote! I'm glad you're enjoying your new chickens and BYC! Very glad to have you here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by