New to chickens but wife and I are giving it a go.Love animals and love eggs.How can I go wrong?lol

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chasingthedream, Nov 29, 2014.

1. chasingthedream

chasingthedream Just Hatched

Nov 28, 2014
    Hello,
    I'm Jeff.I'm new to this.Ready to start though.Have old horse barn.I thought about taking tack room which has concrete flooring and door way into and outside.I was thinking I could build run off of back door.Am worried about hawks where I'm at so think I will take advice of many to only let out when my wife or I are out with them.I live in Southern Mississippi so because it gets cold at times was looking for suggestions on good docile laying breeds and meat birds if SHTF.Only way I could eat them.Anyways will continue researching plan on starting first of march.Will update as I learn from my mistakes.But this forum I think heads me in the right direction.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

You may be interested in the Mississippi thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-crooked-letter-ahh-nevermind-mississippi/960

Folks in your area may have recommendations on breeds to select.

Personally, I don't allow my hens to free range for predator fears, but if you only let them out when you are in close proximity they will be safer.

Good luck with your plans. Check out the articles in the learning center, there's a lot of great info in the articles. Feel free to post questions. The forums offer a wealth of experience.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    welcome to the Backyard chickens flock, hope you enjoy BYC as much as we do.

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! There are a lot of very good articles under the Learning Center tab you may want to check out (if you haven't already). Feel free to ask questions, everyone is here to help.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

For more information on making a predator-proof coop, you may want to check out the Coops section (Coop Designs) or visit the Predators and Pests forums: Predators and Pests

My personal favorite docile laying breed that can also be used for meat is the Wyandotte. Mine have been very good layers, docile and sweet birds, and come in many pretty colors for those who might want a varied flock. To look at more breeds, check out the Breeds section:Chicken Breeds It should have some good ideas for your flock.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I too have many predators in my area so I let them out for about an hour or so a day under supervision. They really enjoy getting out and don't seem to mind that it is only for a short period of time. As long as they get out each day even for 30 mins, they are quite happy.

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!