New to chickens - Favorelles- Brahma- Dorking-Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Inkheart, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Inkheart

Inkheart Songster

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Hello all -
    I am new to chickens and have become crazed. I have been reading and researching and have gotten about 30 back issues of Backyard Poultry from a friend . I have gone to auctions - fairs etc. I have my search narrowed down to Favorelles- Brahmas- Dorkings- And orpingtons. Space wil lnot be an issue - but i want a gentle - docile- friendlier chicken. Something that is good for a newbie to care for. With that said my best friend has had chickens all his life ( he has Japanese Fantails and Cochins)so i have a good source of knowledge there - Any advise - comments - suggestions would be great. I do love some of the bantams D'Uccles and D'anvers - but am afraid that they would not be good for an inexperienced "Dad"

Thanks in advance for your help! [​IMG]

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I hear good things about Buff Orpingtons, and I will put in a word for Delawares. The bunch of Dels I have are super friendly, personable, several like to sit in my lap, and the rooster is good natured also. They are good egg layers, and aren't too terribly noisy.

3. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Songster

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Definitely orps and favs. Bantam favs are so cute! Both come in several colors for variety

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have one LF Dark Brahma who is awesome. I got her as a 5 month old so she isn't TOTALLY tame, but she is very willing. She has been 'mothering' my two 14 week old Wyandottes in the month I have had her. She seems to be pretty hardy. I have heard Brahma's tend to be broody as well, so I didn't start off with them for that reason.

I started with a Barred Plymouth Rock (GREAT for new owners, very hardy, tame and friendly plus they are excellent layers) and an Easter Egger.

Here is a picture of my Dark Brahma girl. I want to get a Buff Brahma as some point in the near future as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. AmiableHen

AmiableHen In the Brooder

May 27, 2010
    MA
    Hi Inkheart,

I have had chickens for three years....started with Partridge Chanteclers from Ideal Hatchery. They are very gentle...friendly and easy to care for. They will lay all winter (with natural light) and thrive in the cold. The roosters are a delight, and everyone comes a running when any one of the family calls to them. I picked them as my first breed because of cold hardiness and wanting to have a heritage breed....

This year we added Bantam Salmon Faverolles....they are just too cute, and absolute Sweethearts! Personality plus. We had two hatch along with some Black Copper Marans. No problems, even though the marans tower over them. The first day the faverolles were let out to stroll in the coop, little Princess walked up and down the aisle very calmly. She would stop in front of the different pens, stop and gaze. It was like watching a grand old fashioned lady stopping to admire a picture in an art gallery. There didn't seem to be any connection that she was a chicken too! My daughter is thrilled that they like to be handle, and those bearded faces are a riot.

We have Orpingtons too. I like them very much...though the stock we have is going to be culled and we will get some from some dedicated breeders, of the English type. I especially like the hens ..... yesterday one got out of the orp pen and went into the coop.....she had the two month old faverolles under her wings. They looked very happy,she looked very happy.....and Buddy, the Chantecler rooster was thrilled.....because they had been trying to cuddle up under him every evening these past few weeks!

Good Luck on your quest...and don't forget to check out the specific breed threads..

6. hcammack

hcammack Crowing

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I love Faverolles got two faverolles hens in my first batch of chicks now I am a member of the faverolles club and love the breed I hope to own them for the rest of my life. For attractive looks, docile personality, and easy to care for. Really I suggest you get faverolles from a breeder check out the faverolles thread in this section there are some of the best breeders in the US on there.

Henry

7. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I absolutely love faverolles!! They were my sweetest hens!! My Easter Eggers are really sweet too!

8. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

From the list of choices, I'd recomend the Favrolles. My wife raises them as "Her" chickens and they are as calm and sweet as any chickens we have ever owned. They are freindly, good layers, and even the roosters are calm and not flighty or aggressive. All around great chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by