New to chickens ... found bloody stuff in coop

tamiw31

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
Warwick, Rhode Island
I woke this morning to find some bloody urine/stool in my chickens coop. Any suggestions? This is the first time having chickens. I have nine and would really not want to lose them. They are 6 RIR/Whiterock mix 6-7 weeks? and 3 Olive-Eggers about 5 weeks old. I am not sure who the culprit is ... they all seem to be acting happy and fine though. They were all in a little coop/run until last weekend when the huz finally finished the yard run and then they have been in yard run for a week. We made sure the area was clean, not treated and healthy. They have been foraging for bugs and seemed to be enjoying it. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

I found the same thing yesterday with my RIR/WR. They all seemed to be fine Sat. but yesterday one of the RIR chicks was lethargic and had bloody poo/urine and last night she died.

Sounds like Coccidia I would get them on Corid right away. If you can't get that then Sulmet it will work but it's harder on them.

Corid I was told was for calves ... and Sulmet was for chickens ... is the parasite species specific or can I use andything that will kill that bacteria. And what if that is NOT it ... will giving them the meds harm them?

Corid I was told was for calves ... and Sulmet was for chickens ... is the parasite species specific or can I use andything that will kill that bacteria. And what if that is NOT it ... will giving them the meds harm them?
Get the Corid. Cocci are protozoa, there are 9 types that affect chickens. Corid treats them all, sulmet only treats 2 types of cocci. Dosage for the corid 9.6% liquid solution is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Make the 1 gallon mixture and put it in their waterers. It must be their sole source of treated water to drink. Dont add anything else to it. Make it fresh daily.

Back
Top Bottom