New to chickens, from Australia!

Carly Rae

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2016
Australia
Hi!!
My name is Carly, I am from Australia.
Soon we are getting some laying hens (within the next day or two), for me its exciting as I am a big animal lover with 5 miniature horses, a dog and a cat, soon to be getting a new cat for our mice problems.

I thought I might jump ahead and join a forum for chickens as I have been joined to horse and dog forums for a few years now, and I find it great for learning.
I have already got a few questions bundled up about chickens. We have been building the coop all day, we are almost finished.
You could say I am new to chickens, we had 5 back in 2008, but at the time we didn't need chickens so we sold them. And sometimes we work with chickens in my agriculture science class, but thats it.
So I know near nothing, but I am eager to learn about my soon to be new hen buddies!
big_smile.png
Pretty much all I know is we are getting Isa Brown hens, I have heard many good things about the breed
smile.png
I hope to get to know some of chicken owners out there!!!
yesss.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to meet you Carly. BYC has a large Aussie community, the more the merrier. I would suggest you head for the Learning Center, it's the best place to start (or refresh) a chicken education. You may also be interested in "Australia, six states and one funny little Island." thread to keep up with what is going on around. Welcome to Backyard chickens, hope you enjoy it as much as we do. G'Day.

Hi Carly and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. DD has given you the best places to begin, but if you have any questions, then fire away - we are always willing to lend a helping hand.

Best wishes
CT

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif

Hey @Carly Rae I am so happy you joined our roost at BYC! I would like to welcome you with open arms! Yes this site is very helpful for all chicken related things! Since you are new to chickens I will leave you the link to the most prominent learning area on this site our Learning Center a place with updated articles for old and new chicken raisers! https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center I hope you enjoy BYC and make sure to post pictures of your flock and give us updates on how you are doing here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates If you ever plan on getting chicks or hatching your own follow these links and that is the place to go https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs All the best of luck to you and your flock, and I hope you get a bunch of tasty eggs soon!
Justin
thumbsup.gif

Thank you all for welcoming me here! I can't wait to start learning about my new girls!! We got three Isa Browns today! They are beautiful, I just want to go cuddle them! But I'm letting them settle in first. I still have to make them a perch/roost.

I have read in the Learning centre and I have printed off the Treats page so we know what we can and cant feed them :) . Thank you for all the links, that's such a big help!

Oh, and i have to share a picture! Thats another thing about me, I am very passionate for photography. I take SO many photos and currently have about 15,000 photos of my horses taken since the end of last year! And I have had 17 horses since 2008, so thats loads of photos!
tongue.png
So now I have chickens to take photos of, oh boy! Although this photo is just one taken off my phone.
big_smile.png
They are 20 weeks old by the way.

Last edited:
Hey Carly Rae (Jepsen? :lol:) Welcome to BYC. You have a very pretty flock of birds. I've always wanted to visit Australia - lots of interesting wildlife! Cya around :D

Edit: Here, you can have one of these fancy greetings: :welcome

Last edited:
Thank you!
Ahaha absolutely not Carly Rae Jepsen
lau.gif
Yes, Australia is great! Id like to travel one day :)
Thank you for the greety-thing! Haha.

Back
Top Bottom