1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to chickens from California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by karie57, Oct 3, 2015.

1. karie57

karie57 New Egg

Oct 3, 2015
    Hi All,

I have 4 chicks. The roo is 4 months & the hens are 4 1/2. They are my first chickens.Things are getting exciting. Suddenly, the wattle & comb on 1 of my hens has turned as bright red as the roo's. She has also become interested in the nest boxes & the roo has become interested in her. The roo has also started crowing. I bought some cock collars i heard about on this site, but I'm afraid I'll put them on wrong. If anyone in the SF Bay Area has experience w/ one of these, I'd love help or some suggestions on how to get help.

Best to all of you

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, what breeds do you have? Any photos? It does sound like your hen is about to start laying. You might put a golf ball or two in the nest, so she knows that's where eggs should go.

I've heard a lot of mixed comments about the rooster collar, from very pleased, to very unhappy. Some birds have had it on too loose and got their foot caught trying to scratch it off. Others have it too tight which is harmful. Did yours come with any instructions? I don't have any experience with them myself but, am dubious about their results. IF they were great, no one would have a rooster crowing and getting neighbors upset.

Put" No crow collar" in the search box, it should bring up some posts from people who have tried them.

3. karie57

karie57 New Egg

Oct 3, 2015
    Thanks for the welcome. I have a RR , a BR, EE, & a Black Austra__?. . The Cock Collar has instructions on the website. They are from Australia. Here are two pics.1. coop 2. Too[​IMG][​IMG]

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I don't have a rooster so have no experience with the collars, but Drumstick diva has given you a good idea to use the Search box in the upper left side of the screen. It sounds as though you'll be seeing that wonderful first egg soon, that's always fun.

Thanks for joining us!

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too have never used the no crow collar and have also read mixed reviews on them. Ther are quite a few threads on them so I hope you get all the answers you need about them. Hope you get that first egg soon, it's so exciting when you find the little treasures in the nest box.

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future.
    Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. karie57

karie57 New Egg

Oct 3, 2015
    Thanks for the welcome.

9. karie57

karie57 New Egg

Oct 3, 2015
    Thanks

10. karie57

karie57 New Egg

Oct 3, 2015