New to chickens - From Maine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by poniesforever, Apr 21, 2012.

1. poniesforever

poniesforever Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    Okay, thought I did this earlier, but I guess I did something wrong. So I'm try again...

We're in Northern Maine, and althought I remember my mother getting chickens when I was young, my main interest was my horses, I never paid any attention to the chickens. Other then one who'd lost her toes to frostbite, who became a bit of a pet.

I recently ordered a few chicks through a feed store, and they are suppose to come in May. My hubby is building a chicken coop, which I expect to been done soon. While my brother inlaw, has had chickens geese and ducks for a few years, I guess I finally decided I needed some too. :eek:) B-I-L is going to order some chicks soon, and I plan to order a few more for myself as well at that time. B-I-L is also going to incubate a couple duck eggs for me. I'm just a little excited about it all!

I do have a question tho... BIL suggested I feed medicated chick starter. So I got some. Then I read somewhere that medicated chick start may void vaccines... I am having my chicks vaccinated for Meracks... will the medicated chick starter void to vaccine?? I also have regular chick starter, and now I don't know what to feed. My BIL did say he had a problem with meracks a couple years back and lost a lot of chicks as a result. He lives close to us.

Aside from my new adventure in chickens, I have always had horses, many years ago Arabians, a few Quarter horses, Shetland ponies, and now simply 3 reg miniature horses, one lovely stallion, and two nice little mares. I Also have 3 grandkids, a great husband, and a few miniature goats.

I am glad to have found this forum so I can ask those silly newbie questions! Hope you all don't get tired of my crazy questions!

2. CorinneP

CorinneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    [​IMG] Your Farm sounds wonderful and I hope you will grow to love the Chickens and have as much fun with them as I have with mine .. I Do not know the answer to your Questions But I am sure some one here will.. BYC is so Full of so many knowledgeable people willing to help !

3. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

The medicated starter will not interfere with vaccines. It is actually a substance that interferes with coccidia reproduction by limiting the parasites ability to absorb an amino acid. It has no effect on animals.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

6. poniesforever

Apr 21, 2012
    Thank you all for the welcome! Thanks also for letting me know its okay to go ahead and feed the medicated chick starter. Thats been a real concern for me!

7. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    welcome from another Mainer . i have always fed my chicks medicated and had no problems.

8. poniesforever

Apr 21, 2012
    Thank you! Thats good to know! Glad to see another Mainer on here too!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by