New to chickens, from Mer Rouge, La

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shdyldy28, May 15, 2011.

1. Shdyldy28

Shdyldy28 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Mer Rouge, La
    Hello everyone! I'm extremely new to chickens. As a matter of fact I don't even have any right now. For the last few days I have been obsessed with reading everything I can get my eyes on about raising Banties. My daughter (14) and I have fallen in love with these little guys. We are determined to have them!!! My hubby has just laughed at me the whole time. Telling me that he has never seen me get into anything as much as I have gotten into these chickens.

I've been able to find the answers to my questions so far, except for one. And I really figure I already know the answer to this, but I feel like I should ask:

I am wanting to have a few different breeds of chickens, (all banties), do I need to have a rooster for each type of pullet I have to ensure to get the same type of chick, and if so do I need to keep the different types seperated?

With that being said, I'm gonna go ahead and post this and get beck to my research. It is very, very informative.

Thanks so much!!!

2. lizage

lizage Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    [​IMG] from IN!

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] from NY and good luck convincing your husband

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Hello and welcome to BYC, from Connecticut! I was the same way when I was contemplating chicken-keeping; I couldn't get my hands on books quickly enough or research on the internet enough! Not much has changed either, except that now the BYC forum is my ONLY source for information when I need answers. Go the experts, that's my philosophy!

As to your questions: If you want to breed your chickens to produce pure-bred chicks, for each breed you wish to reproduce, you will need to get a rooster and at least one hen (usually two is a good idea, it's called a trio and it gives the hens a little break to share the rooster's affections). If you have more than one rooster, there is no way of knowing which hens he will mate with, so, again, if you want pure-bred chicks, you will hve to keep the breeds separated at least for the time you want them to mate and collect the eggs for hatching. I hope this helps. Good luck and have a blast!

5. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] from Texas [​IMG]
    Yes you will need one little roo for every breed of bantems. They are adorable [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. cblakley0531

cblakley0531 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Shelton, WA
    My Coop
    Thank you for asking this question Shdyldy28! I was actually curious about this myself.

7. Shdyldy28

Shdyldy28 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Mer Rouge, La
    Thank you so much. At least now I know.

Also, there is really no convincing that needs to be done with the hubby. He has already told me that I can! WOO-HOO!!! Now I've got to decide on a design for my coop and learn everything I can in the meantime.

Anyway, thanks for the welcomes and also the answers. Now back to my reading. LOL

8. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:There is a whole section on coop design at the top of the page. My husband just finished our second coop. More space for more babies!!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice given. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by