New To Chickens; Greetings from KC, MO

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Moe Biscuits, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Moe Biscuits

Moe Biscuits In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Belton, MO
    Just bought my first group of chickens from TSC last Thursday. Six "Red Pullets" (as stated by the label, anyway), two Cornish Rocks, and two ducks. Got 'em in a brooder in the basement right now, and so far it looks like they're doing well. Found this site while looking for chicken tractor designs, and decided this is my new favorite website. Looking forward to meeting and learning from everyone here.

2. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Welcome, I'm in Raytown, MO. This is a GREAT site and you are about to become addicted. Just warning you... [​IMG] Let me know if you need any help with your new adventure! Here are my chicken tractors if this helps...

http://www.plamondon.com/hoop-coop.html

I modified mine to make them prettier but alas, this is it.

Dave

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. Moe Biscuits

Mar 14, 2011
    Belton, MO
    Thanks Dave! Good info on the tractor. I'm really looking for security and mobility. I live on 220 acres in Belton (not mine; just renting) so there are quite a few predators, not to mention my two dogs who may or may not take too kindly to the chickens. But I want to be able to move the chickens around the yard to help with fertilizing and pest control. Hopefully the dogs will coexist happily with the birds and I can at least let them free range during the day. The backyard is fenced and as long as the dogs are around, the critters pretty much stay out.

I'm thinking I may go with a 4'x6' raised coop with a hoop-coop type design for the run.

5. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] from ny

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Songster

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    [​IMG] from SW Missouri!

and beware this site is very very very addicting!

7. Fireflyjunction

Fireflyjunction In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    KC area
    [​IMG] from KS! I bought some of them TSC "red pullets" too! Can't wait to figure out what breeds they are!

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana! [​IMG]

AC

9. Moe Biscuits

Mar 14, 2011
    Belton, MO
    Thanks everyone! Firefly, I think the TSC here listed possible breeds as Rhode Island Red, Red Sex Link, and a few others I don't remember. A guy I work with says he's got the RSL's and they're fat and flightless. Anyone got any further info about that? Just curious if I should be learnin' how to clip some wings.

10. schellie69

schellie69 Songster

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas. Have fun with your new chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: