New to chickens, have no idea what kind I have!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lilranchette, Aug 19, 2013.

1. lilranchette

lilranchette Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Hi all. I joined a few months ago but didn't have any chickens. Now I adopted some from someone who was moving. Instant chickens! They didn't know what kind they are, but said someone told them they were Polish.
    There is a solid black hen. (they didn't think she was Polish but she does have a little top knot of feathers.) There are 2 that are grayish tan mottled looking, and they have bigger top knots. But not what the pics of Polish look like. There is a young pure white one that isn't laying yet. Also ended up with a black rooster who has dark emerald green in his feathers. And the black hen has 3 chicks, since they were moving and not gathering eggs!
    I didn't want baby chicks or a rooster. The chicks I guess will be fine, as long as they aren't roosters. They are about a week old and I have had them 3 days. They are eating and drinking well and still have mom with them to protect them as I only have the one coop right now.
    I will get pics later, but was wondering if anyone has any idea what kind they are? And how can I tell what sex the chicks are?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, without pictures, I'm not sure. Please post pictures![​IMG]

3. srslychickning

srslychickning Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Garner, NC
    Pics are definitely necessary to identify, but I have had Swedish Flowers that resemble ALL of the traits you described. Then again, there are other breeds that could do the same, as well as any number of breed mixes. Looking forward to pictures.

4. barredrock254

barredrock254 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    You can usually tell what gender of chickens you have from their behaviors. Roosters tend to be more dominant, and usually get their combs and wattles before the rest. It would help if there were some pictures! [​IMG]

5. lilranchette

Jun 16, 2013
    OK, my grand daughter took pics tonight, they're not the best but I hope you can see them good enough. [​IMG]This is the black hen. She's actually prettier than this, the way the light is hitting her. But she has a top knot. [​IMG]
    This is the tan hen, there are 2 of them, they look like twins but one is a little darker. [​IMG]
    This is the white hen, her head is moving so is blurry. The rooster is in back, he is pure black with emerald green tail feathers. Someone is laying an egg a day, and it is pale pinkish beige. They were all laying once a day before they brought them to me, but so far only one a day.

6. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

The crest on the back of the head makes me think of a cream legbar or an altsteirer but the coloring is definitely off and they don't look like polish. Argh, I can't remember what breed it is. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  7. lilranchette

Jun 16, 2013
    Yeah, they look nothing like the Polish pics I've seen. I would just kind of like to know what kind they are. I had plans of what chickens I was going to get when my coop was done, but that's all changed now!

8. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  9. lilranchette

Jun 16, 2013
    Well, I think you are right! And maybe even the black hen too, I saw a black one on that link, and she is crested too. The white one is not from this group at all, they got the rooster and the 3 hens all from the same place, and a neighbor gave them the white one. I'll try to get a better pic of her tomorrow. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by