New to chickens! Help me with food.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ogdenfarms22, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Ogdenfarms22

Ogdenfarms22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    So I am feeding my 5 weekers organic nonmed starter mix. How long do I keep these babies on this before moving on? Also what do I move on to? So many choices not sure what to do or when to do it!!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! You can feed an 'all-flock' feed forever, with oyster shell on the side for layers, or transition to a layer feed when all your pullets are in lay. Make sure that each bag of feed has a recent date of manufacture so you aren't buying old stuff with lower vitamin amounts. I want my feed to be no more than three or four weeks old, and use it up in less than ten days. Mary

1 person likes this.
  3. Ogdenfarms22

Feb 4, 2017

Thanks for the advice!!

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    You may want to consider FF (ferment feeding); saves on feed & LOTS of good benefits. There's a LONG thread about it, interesting reading and it converted me. I have 5 girls but the benefits (nutritional absorption, less poop that is firmer & less stinky) is why I do it plus less wasted feed on the ground = less rodents.

I too have converted to Flock Raiser (w/oyster shells & grit on the side) instead of Layer although had to put my girls on layer when the feed store didn't get their shipment in. Now that it's in, I mix 50/50 until the layers done.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

The best way to feed chicks is Starter till 8 weeks and grower till the first egg. Then a good quality layer pellet at 17 %........

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    No matter what you use, be sure it's recent mill date. 42 days is well on the way toward becoming rancid. And fermenting gives the flock huge dietary benefits.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ogdenfarms22

Feb 4, 2017
    Thanks for all the help guys!
    So I have a pretty good size garden also. Would it be good or Okay to give them veggies and fruit as treats?

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    absolutely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by