new to chickens how long til i get eggs

GRIMREAPER1981

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
i justed started raisin chickens for hobby an have 4 hens an one rooster i want chicks an eggs how long does this take

The average age for hens to begin laying is 20-30 weeks.

Depending on the individual hens you may not ever get chicks without incubating the eggs yourself. All hens lay, not all hens go broody (have the desire to sit a next of eggs and raise chicks.)

i got my girls in april as chicks that were about 2 weeks old and they just started laying a week ago i have heard alot of people say 25 weeks guy at the hatchery/feedstore told me about 4 months for my isa brownswhich was pretty accurate since i got them at the beginning of april

There are certain types of chickens that are more likely to be broody like silkies for an example.... which is why i have mine in case i don't have a broody hen
celebrate.gif

Depends on the breed. I'd say most would be laying between 20-25 weeks. Some a little earlier. I have Barred Rocks that just started at 19 weeks. But their coops mates (Buff Orps and Red Sex Links) haven't started yet. I'm fairly new to chickens, but I noticed the BRs started to lay around the same time the rooster became "interested"
wink.png
in them.

I'll have to defer to someone with that kind of experience. I've always raised mine from chicks. IMO if they were laying before you received them it shouldn't take too long for them to get used to their new digs and start again.

Some will stop laying if their routine or environment is interrupted. That said, are there windows in your coop? Are you leaving them in the coop 24/7?

Quote:
Hogwash. Chickens, both male and female, reach sexual maturity prior to the point at which their bodies are done growing. As a matter of fact, I don't know of an animal on this planet that this is not true of. And while it's true that larger, rounder eggs generally lead to better success rate in incubation even pullet eggs can be successfully incubated.

Back
Top Bottom