new to chickens how long til i get eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GRIMREAPER1981, Aug 12, 2010.

1. GRIMREAPER1981

GRIMREAPER1981 New Egg

Aug 11, 2010
    i justed started raisin chickens for hobby an have 4 hens an one rooster i want chicks an eggs how long does this take

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    The average age for hens to begin laying is 20-30 weeks.

Depending on the individual hens you may not ever get chicks without incubating the eggs yourself. All hens lay, not all hens go broody (have the desire to sit a next of eggs and raise chicks.)

3. jmckeon

jmckeon Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    i got my girls in april as chicks that were about 2 weeks old and they just started laying a week ago i have heard alot of people say 25 weeks guy at the hatchery/feedstore told me about 4 months for my isa brownswhich was pretty accurate since i got them at the beginning of april

4. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

There are certain types of chickens that are more likely to be broody like silkies for an example.... which is why i have mine in case i don't have a broody hen [​IMG]

5. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Depends on the breed. I'd say most would be laying between 20-25 weeks. Some a little earlier. I have Barred Rocks that just started at 19 weeks. But their coops mates (Buff Orps and Red Sex Links) haven't started yet. I'm fairly new to chickens, but I noticed the BRs started to lay around the same time the rooster became "interested" [​IMG] in them.

6. GRIMREAPER1981

GRIMREAPER1981 New Egg

Aug 11, 2010
    my chickens i believe are old enough ive had them cooped 5 days do they have to adjust

7. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I'll have to defer to someone with that kind of experience. I've always raised mine from chicks. IMO if they were laying before you received them it shouldn't take too long for them to get used to their new digs and start again.

8. Olive Hill

Apr 19, 2009
    Some will stop laying if their routine or environment is interrupted. That said, are there windows in your coop? Are you leaving them in the coop 24/7?

9. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    You won't get chicks until your eggs are full-sized and the hens and roo are full-grown.

10. Olive Hill

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:Hogwash. Chickens, both male and female, reach sexual maturity prior to the point at which their bodies are done growing. As a matter of fact, I don't know of an animal on this planet that this is not true of. And while it's true that larger, rounder eggs generally lead to better success rate in incubation even pullet eggs can be successfully incubated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by