New to chickens I have some questions?

C. Doberman

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 30, 2011
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and I wanted to ask some questions so my friend gave me 2 chickens well Roosters to be exact, we have had them for about a month and its getting cold and I was just wondering about building their coup under my porch (since they have just been wondering in my yard) its nice and wide plus I think it could protect them better from the cold but they would still have a little piece of outside land to roam around but today I ran out of their feed yesterday and just bought it today so i took them in to my kitchen and feed them, well I noticed that one of them had this black spots in the red part of his head and so i took some pick to post I have no idea what it is but I am afraid its frost bite even dough it hasn't been that cold but when I was taking the pictures i saw these small really tiny white bugs on its head so please help me out.
By the way how do you post pic? lol I have no idea

well thanks in advance.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Louisiana! Glad you joined! The little black spots could be where he's been pecked. You'd have to research frost bite on here to really get an idea!! I live in the south so don't know much about frost bite!!
wink.png
Sounds like they might have mites or lice. You need to treat them. You can use 7 dust for that!! Good luck!

I "think" you have to have posted 10 post before your able to post pics!!

Last edited:
frow.gif

C, Doberman
welcome-byc.gif

A shelter under your porch sounds good. How far off the ground is your porch?? They do like to roost off the ground at night. Sounds like they have lice. Not a biggie, just pick up some poultry and garden dust. Or something containing Permethrin...Dust them good, and then repeat in 2 weeks. The spots could be poultry pox. If so they should just dry up and the scabs will fall off. Not much you can do, but let it run it's course. If you are worried, you can give them vitamins and electrolytes. Won;t hurt and might help boost their immune systems.

Others may have more advice. Everyone finds different things and approaches that work well for them.

Glad you joined us!!

thanks everyone do you guys have any idea were i could get my hand on that poultry dust, and the porch its pretty high up I can go in there and just bend down a little bit (but i am really short so...) but I could make it pretty high up for them to rest I plan to get some hens as well, i think he may have just gotten pecked but Idk.
I also think that one might have gotten his red thing trimmed (no idea what its called) you know how they do it when they are going to be trained to fight, but that's by far the only thing I have notice, since its not aggressive and I don't know if roosters are some times born with out them, it just looks like a red blob on top of its head.

thanks

C. Doberman :

thanks everyone do you guys have any idea were i could get my hand on that poultry dust, .........

thanks

Any feed store should have it.​

Welcome
welcome-byc.gif
. Glad you are here
celebrate.gif
. There are lots of informative pages on chicken anatomy on here, I downloaded a picture just so I could use it to get familiar with terms. Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom