New to chickens in Elkhart, Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by markschicks, Jul 23, 2011.

1. markschicks

markschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Elkhart, IN
    Hi!
    My husband Mark & I (Amy) acquired some hens & a rooster from a friend. We had 1 black osterlorp, 1 buff orpington, 1 RI red hen, 1 RI red rooster & 3 RI red/buff orp mix hens. I work at a small animal vet & Mark is a dispatcher for a local trucking company & part-time wanna be farmer. We have a habit of rescuing creatures in need. Our oldest pet is a schnauzer of 15 yr. hard of hearing & doesn't see well, he wears a diaper in the house because of Cushings disease. Our 4 yr. old German Shepher mix was rescued from the Grand Canyon when he was 8 weeks old. He is quite a conversation piece/souvenier. We also have a 3 yr. old Cocker Spaniel who was born with a front leg out of place. Add to that 5 indoor cats, each with a story of how they came to live with us. We have one outdoor feral cat & just today adopted another feral cat from the local Feral Cat Coalition, so she would not be euthanized. We'll see how that goes....

All was well with the chickens for about 6 months. We are new to this & unfortunately are learning some things the hard way. The rooster liked the black one WAY too much & she ended up with a naked backside in spite of an apron. So we gave her back to our friend. Just last week the buff one had a tumor rupture below her rectum & at the vets recommendation, we euthanized her. We went on vacation & while we were gone (family members stayed at our house) a raccoon (we assume) killed 2 more. So we have 2 laying hens left & 1 rooster. Mark had gotten some buff chicks this spring. They are big enough now to join the others but aren't laying yet. We'll see how this goes....

We can use all the help we can get.

2. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome aboard....
    I think I missed your question.

Quote:

3. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Well you have come to the right place to learn anything & everything about chickens! My advice: Research coop/run designs, proper chicken to coop space ratios, predation prevention, and breeds.

I am very sorry to hear about your losses. [​IMG] Hang in there, it will get better. Each lesson learned will bring you closer to a peaceful and successful flock.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

Welcome aboard.

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from FL!

9. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    welcome we need more people with chickens to defer the rising cost of eggs.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by