New to chickens in London UK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RonoKT, Jan 30, 2016.

1. RonoKT

RonoKT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    Hi All,
    I am a young man living in London in a shared house with 5 others, we have a reasonable size garden for London and last summer I got started with some production gardening (quite a bit too late in the year). I quickly decided that keeping chickens was a sensible approach and started reading on BYC in the late summer. One of the people I live with is my girlfriend Jaz and so I had to persuade her (and the other housemates) that it was a good idea for me to keep chickens. I had been suggesting it for quite a while but I was constantly told to wait until we leave London. At the time Jaz's parents where living in Australia, she has moved over to live here three years ago now, they have also now joined us in England and are currently living with my father while they buy a house. So this Christmas we hosted and my father and Jaz's parents as well as some others where coming over, Jaz really wanted to make impress them, we where talking about where to get a good quality bird and I took oportunity. I persuaded Jaz that getting chickens to raise for Christmas would ensure us some great meat and a memorable Christmas.
    We agreed on 6 chickens and I started trying to find a source, we didn't have much time left till christmas (9 weeks) so I was trying to find broilers and in a hurry. I ended up with 13 [​IMG] Ross 308 chicks.
    Christmas was fantastic, we had 5 birds that each served 2 people well, they where 7 weeks old and I was very happy with them.
    We now have 4 remaining Ross in the greenhouse, 5 chicks in a brooder in the bedroom, 9 hatching as I type, 11 eggs developing on day 5 and 12 eggs settling, waiting for the space that should soon be available.
    I have found BYC an invaluable resource for getting to where I am today and I have decided I would like to be actively engaged with such an informative and pleasant global community.
    I am looking forward to learning more about the amazing world of chickens, thank you to everyone who has contributed in anyway to this forum.
    Rono [​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Rono form Yorkshire UK

Glad you could join the flock! Sounds very interesting how you got into chicken keeping. I'm sure your birds at Christmas were delicious. I find it really makes a difference to taste on how they are kept. Wishing you the very best of luck with your incubation and hatching. Your incubator sounds like it's very busy!!

Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello Rono!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

4. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    Thank you!
    Luckily I got two incubators! but they are both very busy.

5. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    Thanks, I have been reading here for a while but have lots of questions that haven't been answered! We have one four toed "silkie" already and the current hatch has 4 eggs that will hopefully hatch out black large fowl silkies, from a much better source. I'd love to get your opinion of them at some point.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    Thank you, I feel very welcome.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Rono, Welcome to Backyard chickens. I really enjoyed your introduction and glad things are going so well. [​IMG].Hope you will update on your latest hatches. We would love to see photos of your birds, coop, and the human elements in your story, as well. Obviously things were meant to turn out like this. [​IMG]

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Rono, [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here, thanks for joining us!

10. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi there from another Tyke, via Kenya and welcome to BYC. Great intro and its good to know that chicken maths is alive and kicking in London as it is elsewhere [​IMG] It seems like you've got the chicken bug 100% so you are part of the right community for sure [​IMG]

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by