New to Chickens in New Brunswick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by originaldub, Aug 29, 2014.

1. originaldub

originaldub New Egg

Aug 28, 2014
    Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have recently moved to New Brunswick and decided that since we have just over an acre of property that we'd like to have some feathered friends. We have some barred rock pullets ordered and are looking forward to having them join the family.

I have (mostly) built a coop from scratch. I read a book or two on "essential components" of a coop and worked my own design from there. This website has been a great resource so far.

One thing I've noticed about the site is that there is a vast difference/mixing of opinions which has its benefits and downfalls. While there is a lot of contradicting information, it is all very well intended and the best part is that usually "everyone is right" even if they are saying different things! I've found that finding information that fits my situation (family pets/location/climate/materials) and applying the solution that "I" like best has been very helpful.

I look forward to interacting with you all!

-Greg

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I have found that the reason there is such a difference of opinion here is that what works for me, does not necessarily work for you. So you are going to see many different ways of doing things. It is up to you to work with your flock, take something from everyone's responses and come to your own conclusions. Keeping poultry is a a huge learning adventure. The learning never stops until the day you stop keeping them. Each flock and bird is different from anyone else's and if you spend enough time with your birds, they themselves will teach you all you need to know.

Enjoy your soon to be new Barred Rocks! I raised a batch of Rocks this year too and I am enjoying them greatly.

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our flock!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2 TwoCrows has done a very good job of explaining. Welcome to BYC

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

We all will raise our chickens differently so we can't tell you exactly what to do. But we will help in any ways we can.

Good luck to you!:)

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

10. Denwendairy

Denwendairy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Welcome from a fellow Canuck from Alberta! You're definitely right about the great info (and people) on this forum! It's been a great resource for us as well!
    Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by