New to Chickens in SoCal

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mrs Jones, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Mrs Jones

Mrs Jones New Egg

Sep 11, 2012
    San Marcos, CA
    Hi there,

I've been lurking here over this past week because a friend referred me here when I said I wanted chickens. I've found lots of great information! I've wanted chickens for awhile because I wanted access to fresh eggs from bug eating birds. Unfortunately, I lived in a community that did not allow chickens. Luckily, my family just moved to an area that is on the border of city and country, and has pretty liberal chicken rules for this county.

This last weekend, the family and I took ourselves to the feed store and picked up two australorp and two speckled sussex chicks. We picked out chicks with feathers, because I felt they would be more tolerant of newbie mistakes than younger chicks. Then, because I am completely and irredeemably nuts, we got two guinea keets. They're about eight weeks. One of them already got away, but decided she liked the neighbors yard, and he caught her for us. I can tell it's going to be a real love/hate thing, because I love the gawky loudmouthed things, but I can see that there's no such thing as "tame" there. After getting caught up in some chicken websites, I then found a bird I really wanted -- a black copper marans. I found someone with some chicks about the same age as the ones we have, and I went to pick one up -- and came home with two. I got to see his chicken farm and freshly laid eggs, so I know that they are real marans laying dark eggs (See? I've already learned a few things-- except how to resist buying extras).

So that's us. Me, my extremely long suffering husband (who got to spend a day chasing a guinea), my nine-year old daughter, six chicks and two obnoxious guineas. Oh, and lots and lots of tortoises, which has been our passion for a long time. I'm going to stick to eight birds though. I swear.

Ren

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

3. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

yea right :)

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Hello and welcome from Los Angeles.

5. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hello and [​IMG] from Georgia. Glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Oh, you are bringing back memories now! we bought 2 guineas years ago and we were living in the middle of a large town. Needless to say they took off the moment we let them loose... My poor brother had to go catch them. I can still see him scaling 6 foot fences, dodging dogs and (luckily) amused neighbours. But they settled in eventually, got joined by some chickens and even hatched and raised some keets. Have fun!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Ren, and [​IMG]! Happy to have you aboard! Careful! It's very easy to think you'll only get 8 birds, and the next thing you know....[​IMG]! Good luck to you!

8. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG]

9. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mrs Jones

Mrs Jones New Egg

Sep 11, 2012
    San Marcos, CA
    Thank you everyone! I can see how hard it is to stick to a certain number of birds. Our chicks are already running for us when they see us (we have them in a tortoise enclosure we had, on the patio -- looks like a short little cage). I can hardly wait to get the coop and run up. We have a large fenced paddock area in the backyard so the plan is to have a coop/run in it and then let them free range in the paddock from time to time. I need to throw a sprinkler out there to get the weeds and bugs going in the meantime.

I hope the guinea stick around. They're going to be cooped up now for awhile though. I learned my lesson!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by