New to Chickens in Southern PA.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TrixiePA, May 5, 2009.

1. TrixiePA

TrixiePA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    South Central PA
    Hi, I'm Tracy from York County in PA. I'm embarrassed to say I've been lurking for a few days now and have learned so much from this site. A friend got me excited about the prospect of keeping chickens (eggs, kid friendly, organic, etc) So I ordered 8 chicks from a local mill back in March but they haven't shown and that's a frustrating story. Then one night I was researching online and decided spur of the moment to order from MyPetChicken.com 6 more... They are due in next week one day. And then on Saturday I *sigh* was in TSC... do you know where this is going? The shipment had just been unpacked that morning and the little things were soooo miserable under way too hot and pasty conditions. No one even knew what they were, turns out they said they were 'assorted straight run bantams'.[​IMG]

So I've been fascinated by brand new chick behavior for the last 3 days and have gotten 0 chores done. Can't wait for the next 2 orders to come in but I will be jumping in over my head I'm sure.
    So all advice will be gratefully taken.

Just FYI besides the assorted bantams, the Mill order is 2 Australorps, 2 Brahmas (buff I think she said), 2 golden Wyandottes and 2 silkies. The mypetchicken order is 3 mille fleurs and 3 appenzellers.

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG] from a northwestern PAer! and don't worry I lurked for about a year. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  3. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington
    And don't be embarrassed about lurking for a few days. I lurked for 10 months. LOL!

Imp

6. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio! Next you'll be buying an incubator and hatching eggs!
    Let the addiction begin! What part of York Countyare you from?
    I grew up in Glen Rock and my family all still lives around there. My sister is in Seven Valleys, my brother in New Freedom.

7. TrixiePA

TrixiePA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    South Central PA
    We're right in the middle between York and Hanover... I'm familiar with Glen Rock and Seven Valleys, I grew up in MD and my folks are still there, we sometimes take the scenic route down there...

I have to say after I bought the first couple of books ( I got to 5) to do my research on the chickens back in march, I started coming here for more hands on info. It's been a great resource.

How did you know I've been checking out incubator prices? Hmmmm this does get to be an obsession doesn't it?

8. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    [​IMG] from South Jersey [​IMG]

9. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG]

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member