1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new to chickens in western ky

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sweet3, Mar 1, 2013.

1. sweet3

sweet3 New Egg

Feb 25, 2013
    I live in Western KY and I am wanting to know what breed is best for beginners and our hot summers and cold winters?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    [​IMG] and the wondrous world or chicken keeping. I'm pretty new at this myself so I don't really know enough to recommend good starter breeds. I started with Australorps and Easter Eggers and I love them.

(ETA) I do know that one major determining factor in what kind of breeds you'll want to get will be what you want them for and what kind of space you have to keep them in.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, sweet3, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here. What is your purpose with the chickens...pets? meat? eggs? I don't know that any one breed is a "beginner" breed. Below is a link to a chart that talks about various chicken attributes. So many great choices!!! Enjoy and have fun!

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

1 person likes this.
  4. The Chicken Boy

The Chicken Boy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    First of, [​IMG] from NC! Great to have you here! If you would, visit this page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds
    and while you're there, scroll down a little bit until you see little check boxes. When you see those, check off what applies to you. Remember, you do not have to check them all off, just the ones that apply to YOU! Feel free to PM me anytime with any questions you may have! Thanks!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from New Mexico!

My first chickens were Black Australorps, being that everybody said how docile and friendly they were. Boy were they right! They follow you around like drooling puppies, lap sit, are great layers, and are very cold hardy chickens. They also tolerate the heat quite well if given a lot of shade, being that they are all black. :)

6. sweet3

sweet3 New Egg

Feb 25, 2013
    Thank you all for your replies. I want to have my chickens for the eggs. I will check out the breeds page on here. I am so excited to get my own flock and trying to gather as much info and this site is great :)

7. The Chicken Boy

The Chicken Boy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    Glad yo enjoy!

8. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Hancock County, Kentucky![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by