New to chickens, is this OK?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wilsocks, Feb 19, 2012.

1. wilsocks

wilsocks New Egg

Feb 18, 2012
    Long Island NY
    I just ordered this coop, I live in West Babylon, NY. and I am so new to this, but have always wanted my own hens.. So I ordered this coop, I am looking only to keep, the most six hens, is the coop I bought sufficient to house this amount? I am learning so much from you guys, which is really cool.. Thank you for all your help. I started cultivating worms and looking at different foods to feed them, [​IMG]

2. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think I wiould put 6 in there, what r the dimensions of the coop and run? Typically 4sqft inside and 10sqft outside is quoted as best.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Perhaps if you've already ordered this setup, our opinions are a bit like "locking the gate after the horse has escaped", but anyhow....

No. It is not adequate for 6 large fowl birds.

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    This will be great for your chicks when they are big enough to go outside, which should give you time to add on. It is very cute but it looks big enough for 2 or 3 hens. Welcome to chicken keeping. It is so much fun, you get fresh eggs and chickens eat all your kitchen trimmings and scraps. What kind of chicks will you get? I started with 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte layers, then the following spring I got 3 red sex links and 3 black sex links. I wish I had room for more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by