New to chickens :: Just bought this coop, thoughts? Feedback?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by banditti, Jun 24, 2010.

1. banditti

banditti New Egg

Jun 24, 2010
  2. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Looks great from what I can see, but I'm no expert on coop building. Congrats!

3. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    it is nicely build but you would need to should that the roof does not leak then it rains and can it handle wet snow on the roof if you live where snow come and you would have put locks on the doors too

4. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Are you going to mount it on concrete? It looks like if you don't then something could easily get under the bottom of the frame.

It's very nice looking, don't forget to treat the wood before you put it all together, much easier and more effective. What lucky chickens you have.

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I think it's neat. 8 birds is a bit optimistic with the size of the living area (did I read it right? Something like 30 inches x 31 inches for the inside space?) but other than that it's very cool looking..!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That's NICE. But do seal it with waterproof seal, and maybe exchange some of the hinges for heavier-duty hinges. (I bought a similar coop from the same seller and have found the hardware to be a little bit "light.")

And the company does over-estimate how many chickens can be kept in it, just a tad.

7. GoAngels

GoAngels Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:I think they make the house look bigger in the pictures than it actually is. From another auction for the same seller: "SUITABLE FOR 5/6 BIRDS COULD BE USED FOR MORE Dependant on size (As a guide bantams need 8" sq , large birds need 12" sq of floor area)".

So yeah, the seller is underestimating how much space chickens need. This is barely big enough for 2 standard hens.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  8. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    After my experience buying a coop kit off line I would be extremely wary of quality of materials and contruction. Plan on doing a lot of modifying to make it work.

I wouldn't put more than 2 hens in this.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    7'6 square feet of living space in the "living area", which includes the roof overhang, did I do the math right? That's about enough for 2.75 chickens. Don't know where they got the 8 hens idea. It IS a really cute little coop and run, but I'd only put maybe 3 standards in there.

And I'd expand the run area a bunch, unless you are going to free range daily.

I looked online - this is the US distributor for a UK company selling coops/hutches/etc. made in China. Sure would be nice to find one made in the USA.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  10. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:If you shut the chickens up in the coop at night, do you really need a solid floor for the run? Where I live, predators are mostly an issue at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by