1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to chickens, just had two die, help please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hayleynzodiac, Jan 24, 2016.

1. hayleynzodiac

hayleynzodiac New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Spokane, Washington
    I'm trying to figure out what happened with our two 9 month old hens (we have 5 total). I found one hen dead in the yard one morning (I assumed by a raccoon). The other hen was eating it's carcass. I then locked the chickens in the run/coop and 2 days later found our other 9 mo hen dead. She was intact aside from her stomach being opened. There is no way a predator could have gotten in. We are fairly new to this and want to prevent issues in the future. All chickens had appeared healthy, the 3 remaining still seem healthy. One of the hens had just started laying and was a favorite. Any ideas or advice?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It does sound like some type of predator.
    Do you have pictures of your coop and run?

3. hayleynzodiac

hayleynzodiac New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Spokane, Washington
    I don't have a picture right now. It is essentially the witchita cabin coop from this site. It has 1/4 in wire fencing and cinder blocks buried beneath the base with pavers around it. I don't think anything got in. The first death makes sense as the chickens hadn't been locked in that night. The second chicken I worry may have gotten sick from eating the dead one?

4. potato chip

potato chip Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Could the second victim have been attacked/wounded at the same time as the other but you didn't notice at that time because she was up and about?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by