1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to chickens--looking for basic care advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by petitbleu88, Nov 24, 2011.

1. petitbleu88

petitbleu88 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I recently inherited a small flock of chickens and I've had two die in the past four weeks, one from anemia due to worms and another from unknown causes. I really want to take good care of these beautiful birds, and I've been reading relentlessly about chickens, but I confess that every time I open one of Gail Damerow's wonderful and informative books, I feel somewhat overwhelmed. I'm basically just looking for common sense advice on keeping chickens healthy (besides the obvious--proper feeding and watering, clean coop, access to the outdoors...). Are there any medications I should keep on hand, any common problems I should be on the lookout for? Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have Gail Damerow's 'Chicken Health Handbook' of doom and gloom and I buried it in a drawer somewhere around the house. As you have mentioned, all you need is common sense when it comes to raising chickens. You already mentioned the basic care needs. I wouldnt use medications unless absolutely needed. The only exception in my case is a regular worming schedule, which is up to the owner. I also lightly dust the inside of the coop with sevin dust to prevent lice/mites after a thorough cleaning. Maintain strict biosecurity and you should be just fine. Predator prevention/coop security for the health, safety, and welfare of your birds is paramount as well. If any problems pop up, come here and post, you'll get all kinds of help.

3. petitbleu88

petitbleu88 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Thanks for the advice. After doing all that reading I was starting to think that keeping chickens was really complicated.

4. Storey guide to chickens is one of the best basics i have found to date. I highly reccomend reading that. It is in nice normal language that you can understand. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by