new to chickens; Lynnwood, WA - advice?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by walady944, Oct 5, 2012.

1. walady944

walady944 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Federal Way, WA
    The neighbor has two little red hens that wandered over to see us and now I cannot think of anything but having some myself. any suggestions; think I can have 3 or 4 in Lynnwood according to city code. Will our cold damp winter do them in? Ok to get them now or will I have to have heat source in coop? Not sure what kind of coop I can get built. thanks,
    Lynn

2. LillyBantam

LillyBantam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Alkham, Dover, Kent. UK
    Go for it! You'll never look back. Most Chicken breeds are very hardy in the winter, look on the other threads that are all about winter care. The only thing is I wouldn't get chicks in the cold, they'd have to stay n the warm for several weeks. Look for some at POL (point of lay). There are lots of friendly people on here always willing to offer help, so just ask as you go. :)

3. The Hunger Hens

The Hunger Hens New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
  4. walady944

Oct 5, 2012
    Federal Way, WA
    thanks so much for your info; your coop looks wonderful; was it ordered or did you design it? We hope to get a coop together in the next couple mos and get the girls in early spring, maybe March or whenever available. I want little ones, so they will start out in our house - somewhere, not sure where, LOL. What kind are yours?
    do you have yours outside yet? Your coop must be heated, I am guessing. If you can recommend where to get the coop, I am open to ideas. thanks again,
    Lynn
    in Lynnwood

5. The Hunger Hens

The Hunger Hens New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    I ordered my coop from cconly.com. I did paint it to match our house and my husband added the light fixture and heating lamp since they're still young. Mine are called the Hunger Hens after the characters in my favorite book series, The Hunger Games.

Katniss-Barred Plymouth Rock (she's miss bossy pants)
    Peeta- Americauna
    Effie-Buff Orpington
    Rue-Blue Wyandotte
    Foxface-Rhode Island Red

I have noticed we have flocks of gulls here in Lynnwood. Curious on whether they'll bother my girls.

6. walady944

Oct 5, 2012
    Federal Way, WA
    Yes, I have noticed gulls in our neighborhood also. And thanks for the tip on this web site; we have not decided if we will build it ourselves maybe from the Wichita Coop plans - maybe out of cedar since it weathers pretty well or order a kit. I like this web site you suggested.
    If you're ever up for visitors, I would love to meet your girls and see the coop. We are in Lynnwood over near the Edmonds community college area. I work at Premera close by in Mountlake Terrace.
    Can't wait to move from the planning stage to really getting started!
    Lynn

7. The Hunger Hens

The Hunger Hens New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    We're practically neighbors. :) I live off of 36th Avenue near the Alderwood Mall. My house is backed up against Spruce Elementary, and that's where I see the gulls foraging on insects. They are massive compared to my girls and about 3 times larger than any crow around here. Of course you can come and see the Hunger Hens! It's so nice to find someone with a similar interest. I'll shoot you a PM and give you my info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by