New to chickens near Pittsburgh PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by todtrac, Jul 7, 2010.

1. todtrac

todtrac In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Well, my wife thinks I am going through a Mid-Life crisis but not with a new car but with chickens!.. My daughter received an incubator for Easter which we were going to incubate some eggs then sell the chickens as a family project... after I did some research on the internet on "How To", I got hooked!!... I am in the process of building my coop, some call it the Taj Mahal, tried to incubate eggs (failed) but still have much ambition to raise chickens. As of Monday we purchased our first four Silkie peeps and 7 fertile eggs to try again. I am looking forward to this adventure with my family. Any help with anything is appreciated..

One note, one peep has a messed up foot. The lady gave it to us to raise so we are. Not sure if the peep will make it. It walks on the knuckle of her foot and the foot itself is twisted sideways. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Very excited new chicken owner!
    Todtrac

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    [​IMG] from a philly girl living in Florida!!!! I know there is a PA thread on here in the where are you section...............

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello and welcome!

Congrats to you! People think I'm so silly as well, but I've done the same thing.....gotten chicks, and had a coop made......all that, incubated.....it is just an addicting hobby.

I'm wondering how old your little silky peeps are.......if they've just hatched, you could try to sort of splint those little toes....If you can use something small like a dime, and tape the toes flat onto it with some surgical tape, sometimes those toes straighten out. But they do have to be pretty young. If you can straighten out the toes without hurting the chick (gently bend them straight), and tape them onto a little flat splint, it may work.

Enjoy your chicks and welcome to BYC!

4. todtrac

todtrac In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks for the welcome... our 4 day old peep with the bad foot is still doing fine, I tried to straighten it out but was afraid to hurt her. It has to walk with aide from its wing and when it eats it puts its wing in the feed bowl to support her, do you think she will be able to grow and live with the bad foot?.. I am actually thinking about trying to make a boot to tie on her when she gets older.. not sure what to do..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by