New to Chickens, need help PLEASE!!! :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrshaggie810, Oct 17, 2012.

1. mrshaggie810

mrshaggie810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Michigan
    Sooo, I got 3 "laying hens" and 2 Pullets...well, I have gotten 4 eggs in 4 days, and this morning I found either the remains of a shell-less egg, or an egg that had been eaten (but there was no shell ANYWHERE.) Also...I've been giving them oyster shell....they are GOBBLING it up...so...are they seriously definicient in calcium maybe? The first two eggs I got one of them was cracked a little...like it had been pecked almost...is there any way to stop them from eating them if they are? Just collect them earlier? They seem healthy, but I don't know much about chickens. I'm pretty sure my Easter Egger hasn't laid any yet...she gets in the next box though...how do I tell if she is broody? how long does it take to lay an egg? What is this "egg song" I keep hearing about? Any help is appreciated, and even though I like them, I got them because they were supposed to be laying...as long as they are healthy, even if their production has slowed down, i'm ok with that, but I have no idea what signs to look for in case they are egg bound or broody or anything like that. Also...how much water would two banty's go through in a day? I forgot to dip my pullets beaks when I got home, so I have been worried maybe they aren't drinking...the water is finally almost empty after 4 days, but it's just a little quart size waterer for two banty cochins...but they seem healthy. Also..I have my chickens and ducks together, and they seemed to be doing fine, but my drake had a cut on his foot today...it wasn't bad and had already stopped bleeding when I figured out where the drops of blood in the bedding had come from, but I am afraid the chickens might mess with him now? Anyone know if I should be worried? Thanks so much for any and all help that I can get!!!

2. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    I've read that you should blow out eggs and fill them with mustard because chicken apparently hate mustard! Sadly that's all I know about the matter! Hopefully you'll get more info soon! Good luck!

3. mrshaggie810

Jul 18, 2012
    Michigan
    Interesting! I've never heard that! I've read quite a few books but it's still totally different once you actually have them! lol! Thanks for your input!

4. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    I'll try to answer a few questions. My chickens take about a half an hour to lay an egg approximately. Some will stay on the nest even longer after they've finished and some probably are quicker but I don't really time them. A broody hen is one that won't get off the nest because she feels the need to incubate the eggs and they must be kept warm so they'd don't get up. The egg song is the noise they make typically after they get off the nest but sometimes they just start up for seemingly no reason. It's loud bak-bak-bak-bak-BACKACK!!! Over and over. I have a couple hens who do it after I steal an egg out from under them.

As for the soft eggs. I get a soft-shelled or no shell egg sometimes but it seems to be more of an 'oops' egg than a deficiency or an issue, especially since mine are all new to laying. We've also had a few double-yolkers and peewee eggs mixed in there. I believe that a few are probably normal.

My two bits.

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

ALSO! Because you just got them, the stress of the move from their old place to their new can cause them to stop laying for a bit... as much as a few weeks. A lot of times you won't even know there was a shell-less egg laid cuz they usually do eat them that fast, membrane and all. It doesn't mean you have an egg eater. New layers will also lay a shell-less...

Anyway, about your drake... If he gets it in his head to mount one of the chickens, you are going to have a serious injury to your chicken. That is one of the things you may need to watch for, if he takes interest in the new chickens also. Can you maybe section off part of the coop so that won't be a problem?

6. mrshaggie810

Jul 18, 2012
    Michigan
    I'm keeping a close eye on them...and my drake, well, I love him, but he's a big wuss and has two ladies now, BUT if it is an issue I have the coop set up so them can each be divided into their own area. ;) Good to know about the shell-less eggs...and about the move...I guess since I've gotten eggs from two of them I just didn't really think of it being a stress thing, and the Isa is rocking it out giving me an egg a day...the reason I wondering how long is the EE went in the nest box...hung out for awhile, got out, but nothing there...maybe she just wanted to sit there?

7. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    Mine did that for a while too and occasionally still do, just get in the nest box and don't leave anything. One of my Buff Orps sits in there for an hour or more and if I take the egg she'll get up like it's over but then come back to sit for a while before leaving. Only *SHE* determines when she's ready to get up. [​IMG]

8. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    keep in mind the time of year it is too. less light and they could be going into molt. I've not had a single egg from any of my hens in several weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by