new to chickens need help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by internationalfarmer, Sep 25, 2007.

1. internationalfarmer

internationalfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2007
    hagerstown,maryland
    what breeds of chickens can live in the mid atlantic region, i would like a wide variety!

2. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Breeds that do not have a large comb and wattles do well in the cold. Orpingtons, Dominiques, Rhode Island Reds, sex links, and Wyandottes are some breeds that come to mind. If you go to Mypetchicken.com, they have a section that lets you plug in some information, and it comes back with some breeds that would be good for you.

3. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in NJ and have Barred Rocks, Australorps, Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orpingtons. I remember that we could also do well with Jersey Giants (I only remember because the name was "Jersey" [​IMG] )

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Orpington for heavy plumage.

Any pea combed breed (Ameraucana, EE, Araucana) - because small combs means no frostbite.

I think most breeds will adapt to your climate if given the opportunity. They need time to acclimate to the changing temperatures, so I would consider that when you decide what to choose and when.

Jody

5. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I have a big red roo and its comb looks like it got frostbit before I got him so in researching frostbit combs I found out that you can put Vaseline on their large combs and wattles to prevent frostbite.. I plan on trying that this winter to make sure he doesnt frostbite again.. his comb and wattles are huge.. I dont know if it will work but its worth a try..

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Henderson's breed chart is really handy for looking up breed characteristics. There are also links you can click on under each breed's name. The FS link takes you to the breed's page on Feathersite, which has lots of pictures, as well as more information and links.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by