New to chickens, need help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cheryls, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Cheryls

Cheryls Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    These are 5 week old Easter eggers. Can you please help with the sex.

Chick 1[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick2[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick3[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 4[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG]

easter eggers can be hard to tell. look at their legs, the ones with the larger diameter will be cockerels the smaller ones pullets. larger combs and wattles normally mean cockerels, but easter eggers are a mixed variety and can have mutated combs throwing it off a little.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd post new photos once the chicks are 10-12 weeks of age.

4. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Yeah....pretty hard to tell with any chickens of this age, especially EEs...may be a waiting game.

5. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I have three Easter Eggers, and I found them to be the hardest to sex. I wasn't completely positive of their gender until they were about four months old. But even then I was still a little iffy. I couldn't relax until they all started laying! But, after must research, I have a better idea of the difference. "The coloring" doesn't really have anything to do with it. I have a black and white EE hen, that everyone said was a roo because of its coloring. All yours seem to have pretty large combs for their age, but I would guess that the first three are cockerels. Although, can you get a better comb shot of the third one, because the lighting makes it hard to tell.

6. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would suggest posting pictures again when they are older, EEs can be hard to sex sometimes. Also [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by