new to chickens, new chicks, new pics and 2 questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by otonoh, Apr 23, 2011.

1. otonoh

otonoh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    Good morning everyone, I have been planning on Chickens all fall and winter, My coop is about 85% done, just need the run constructed and I am done.

I researched all winter and came across golden Comets and thought I would try them. I like the fact that they are color bred. So I hiked an hour to TSC and picked up 6. I also
    stopped at a fellow bychicken guy and he gave me 4 silver laced wyandottes.

when I got to Tractor supply I saw that the golden comets were a straight run. From what I read, the pullets are supposed to be darker with strips while the roo's are almost white.
    I asked about that at Tractor supply and they just looked at me funny. They hadn't heard of color bred. Am I imagining this?? I had them give me the darkest they could find, just in case I correct.

Here are my chicks, What do you think http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/Pezguy81/chicks/?albumview=slideshow

now
    for the question. I have a red 250w heat light on them, and they all are active not too hot or cold. Do you normally supplement the light with another during the day and then shut it off at night, or is the red light enough?

thanks

David

2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    [​IMG] from Arkansas

I don't use a red light....only because I did not have one. Mine do fine. You will find all your answers here....someone will post.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    The red light really should be enough. Usually there is ambient sunlight or other light during the day so they know day from night but it's not incredibly important.

4. otonoh

otonoh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    they are in my finished basement bathroom so there is no natural light.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A 250wt will be plenty enough. Leave it on 24/7. However, if you see the chicks congregate at the far end of the brooder, away from the light, it is simply too hot, which that much wattage can do. Be prepared to raise the bulb a few inches each week. By week 4, they just won't appreciate the heat like they do when they are newly hatched.

At four weeks, they will need lots of space. They'll jump/fly almost 3 feet. Since May is almost upon us, you'll easily be able to move them to the coop as soon as you get it finished. If you have the ability to run an exterior extension cord out there, you could move them to the coop now, no reason not to. They won't use the run for awhile anyhow.

You got some very gorgeous chicks.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Straight run sex links? Hilarious! And, you are correct, the females are golden-red and the males are white. Yours are all pullets presuming that they at least got the breed correct.

7. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Quote:x 2

8. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    Quote:I am currently brooding my first batch of chicks ever. I too have them in a windowless bathroom with a 250 watt red lamp on them. I do turn on the overhead light/exhaust fan during the day, and turn it off at night. I am hoping this will help them to adjust to real day/night once they're out in the coop. They do seem to get quieter when the overhead light is off.

9. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I just use one red light and it seems to be enough with under 50 chicks. I also ordered Comets and yes they are color sexable. The girls are a darker reddish color and the boys are white with some red tints to them. They are both very different looking. I have 17girls coming and 8 boys that should be here on Friday. I can post pictures for you to see then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by