New to Chickens, not sure what breed or gender I have!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mommylarson, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Mommylarson

Mommylarson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi Ya'll! I am new to chickens and we just got our little flock started. We have 8 chickens. I was told they were all Ameracauna hens, but the more research I have done, I know they are not all Ameracauna and am not sure if they are all even hens! Any help is greatly appreciated! I will post pics, but I know they are not the best. If I could at least find out what breed that would be very helpful! :)

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] im not good at this , if i guess, and im sure someone will tell us, they are ameracana mix except for the white one which could be,brama, wyandotte, couple others have that color. the last pic does look rooster and unless you buy sexed hens no one can tell as babies hen or roo unless they are sex link

3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    btw, they are very cute

4. Mommylarson

Dec 3, 2013
    Thank you! I think they are all pretty birds, and I just really had no idea what they are! :)

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    oh, like i said, im no good at this. someone usually comes to correct me so i learn too!

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Whomever told you this lied straight to your face or they were so ignorant they didn't know what they were talking about. All of these birds are mutt Easter Eggers - they may or may not carry the blue egg gene. Some of them look like they probably won't and have been crossbred out for a few generations to me.

How old are these birds? They look young.

Pics 1/5 - looks like hen. However, I can't really tell as someone's holding the bird and I can't see the neck/saddle area. However, the color screams female.
    Pic 2 - Don't know. Males usually have this color but females can, and I can't see it's comb/face. Looks hen-ish to me but I'd keep a close eye out.
    Pic 3 - hen
    Pic 4/6 - hen
    Pic 7 - hen
    Pic 8 - Can't see the saddle feathers, but pretty sure that's a roo from the comb.

7. Mommylarson

Dec 3, 2013
    Thank you so much! The man I bought them from said that the smaller ones were 2 months old and the larger ones were about a year old. I have one that is not pictured and she has laid 2 blue/green eggs and hasn't laid again, but she looks like she is molting.

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    How old is the one on the bottom?

They all look like Easter Eggers to me. The ones with the straight combs most likely did not inherit the blue egg gene, however. I'm suspicious of the first bird (very pink comb for eight weeks) and the fifth bird (same one, perhaps?) and the last one--they look male to me. The rest look female.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mommylarson

Dec 3, 2013
    That one is about 10 weeks old now. It is the same bird in both pics.

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    isnt easter egger and americana the same bird?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by