1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to Chickens--Oh MY! What do I do? Chicken listless and worms?!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IrelandEyes, Mar 10, 2015.

1. IrelandEyes

IrelandEyes Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2014
    Oklahoma
    So I notice one of my brown chickens had a dirty bottom. I tried catching her yesterday but she voted a loud no as she ran across the yard. Today however, a different story. She was slow moving and I could easily pick her up. I started washing her bottom and the area I assume the egg comes out seems swollen. I tried to feel for an egg (I read sometimes they get bound) but no egg that I could feel.

I walked her up to the house and made her a warm bath to soak for a bit. That is when I noticed on the side of my sink these little (small) worms?? started inching up out of water. Really thin and none longer than half the size of my pinkie nail. Some a bit smaller than that, some a bit bigger.I don't notice any of these on her. Not sure where they are coming from or what to do? Do I need to worry about my other chickens?

Gosh, I really really appreciate anyone's thoughts as I dearly love my very first bunch of chickens (and this chicken was a rescue, I found by the side of the road about 9 months ago).

Again thank you for any advice on what to do!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They arnt worms, they are maggots. It's called "fly strike." I suspect it's due to her messy rear end. Clean it as best as you can and trim back soiled fluff and feathers with scissors, but not to cause a naked rear end. Look for injuries or a wound where it's possible maggots may be located. If there's a wound, flush with hydrogen peroxide and remove ALL maggots,,,continue flushing until they are all removed. Then pack the wound with neosporin until it completely heals. Hopefully there isnt a wound.

3. IrelandEyes

IrelandEyes Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2014
    Oklahoma
    *kerpluck* that is me fainting from the VERY helpful news!!!!! Oh I feel terrible I didn't notice her poopy tushie early!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP ME!! I will do exactly what you suggest. I still can't believe this happened to one of my chickens…maggots. *hand to forehead* feeling that fainting spell coming on again. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by